VMware Cloud Community
aNonSequitur
Contributor
Contributor

Mixing hypervisors and Ironic with NSX

I've been tasked with setting up a laboratory environment with OpenStack (Juno), and blades running KVM, Xen and VMware ESXi hypervisors, as well as bare-metal deployment of an arbitrary kernel, which I hope to do using Ironic (deploying CoreOS).

It's my first OpenStack deployment, so I'm looking for some guidance.

I see in the table at the bottom of this page of the OpenStack Cloud Administrator Guide that in order for Compute to work with VMware and Xen I need to get NSX.  A few questions follow from that:

1. Firstly, is NSX the only way to get this done?  Or is it only required for Neutron?
  2. Where does NSX get installed?  Is it just on the ESXi hypervisor node or do I need it on the controller as well?  Or do I need it on every physical host?
  3. I read somewhere that NSX costs about $6K "per CPU".  Is that literally per physical CPU or just per host?
  4. What about baremetal with Ironic?  Does NSX get installed on the baremetal nodes as well?  Does NSX work with Ironic?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
yedongcan
Contributor
Contributor

Hi aNonSequitur

1.Firstly, is NSX the only way to get this done?  Or is it only required for Neutron?

->NSX is not the only solution, in laboratory environment you can use nova-network.But nova-network only support flat, flat dhcp and vlan mode.

Where does NSX get installed?  Is it just on the ESXi hypervisor node or do I need it on the controller as well?  Or do I need it on every physical host?

-> In my previous test, NSX installed as a vm , you can install it in ESXi .you can reference this blog(I had failed).

OpenStack with vSphere and NSX - Series - EdgeCloud

0 Kudos