VMware Cloud Community
hector69
Contributor
Contributor

How do I properly upload a Windows Server 2012 R2-based image to OpenStack Glance?

Hi there. First time I ever post here in the so many years of using and working with VMware software.

Now, the problem I am facing is that I'm trying to upload an OVA file (OS: Windows Server 2012 R2) thru the OpenStack Dashboard Web-GUI and, while it seems to work correctly, all attempts to launch an instance from the image fail, and they all seem to fail because the VM boots to a BSOD. Detailed troubleshooting showed that when Nova created the instance, it used the LSI Logic Parallel controller instead of LSI Logic SAS, the default one in Windows Server 2012 R2, thus making the VM crash and failing to complete the initial startup.

I'm using VIO 2.0 + vSphere 6.0 U1a (3073146) + vCenter Server 6.0 U1 (3018523). I tried doing the base VM with the VMware Paravirtual controller but, after once again uploading the image to OpenStack Glance, the instance fails and never completes. Same BSOD. Same controller mismatch.

Any help with this?

1 Reply
NiclasEriksson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If you update metadata on the image and
vmware_adaptertype
vmware_disktype
change the controller to "lsiLogissas" and then launch? I've done the same and it works better.