VMware Cloud Community
z001yv0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Host routes not supported by plugin in VIO

Hello,

It is not possible to assign host routes to a subnet in VIO.

What I am trying to do In the GUI:

• Go to Project àà

For creating a new network in OpenStack cloud click on <+ Create Network>

• Set following values:

Network Name:   Prod_internal
Admin State:         Up
QoS Policy:          No Policy

Then click on “Next” button an set following values

Create Subnet: True
Subnet Name: Prod_internal_subnet
Network Address:     172.16.12.0/24
IP Version:          IPv4
Gateway IP:          172.16.12.1
Disable Gateway:     false

• Then click on “Next” button an set following values

System Managed Subnet:     True
Enable DHCP: True
Allocation Pools: 172.16.12.200,172.16.12.253
DNS Name Servers:          (empty)
Host Routes: 0.0.0.0/0,172.16.12.1
  169.254.169.254/32,172.16.12.1
VLAN: (empty)

The error I see: While using the VIO gui I get the below error:

vio.JPG

Regards,

Maghesh

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jbrowne
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Maghesh,

Host Routes are currently not supported when creating Networks in VMware Integrated OpenStack.

Regards,

John.

0 Kudos
z001yv0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Thanks for the update!.

Do we have any document or article mentioned in VMware site.

- Maghesh

0 Kudos
musu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Maghesh

To get default route & metadata route, you don't have to explicitly mention host route. Instance will get Default Gateway along with DHCP address. And once the Virtual Network is connected to a Router, Metadata access will be taken care of by the Router. Please check..

For other routes, which you want to achieve with host route, support is coming in future releases. Information will be updated in the Release-Note of future releases.

-Musu

0 Kudos
musu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Maghesh/Thirumurugan

Let me know if you were able to try my comment..

Thx

-Musu

0 Kudos
thkarthi
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Musu,

At the moment without the Host Routes feature we are able to reach the Def-GW & meta data services on the Node.

You can close this thread.

BR

Thiru

0 Kudos
chr15
Contributor
Contributor

Although host routes do not work you can still use static routes and that allows for most network designs.

I only mention this as I initially confused the two as i hadn't seen the static routes option. (On router properties)

I'm not 100% clear on your design but I am assuming that you were trying to use two routers as this is where host routes are typically used. An External router with the external network (NATed) and your project network. Then an Internal router (No NAT) with an internal network and also on your project network. With this design you need the hosts to know what routes to send where for hosts on your project network.

If you just use one router with External, Project and Internal networks then you don't need host routes and everything on the project network just talks to the default gateway and that decides between using default route for Internet access etc and Static routes for other subnets beyond the Internal network.

You then just need to address the security concern of having that Internal network connected like that. In my scenario that internal network then has to go through a firewall before getting to any legacy / non-VIO machines. This could be another NSX edge managed outside of VIO?

I hope this is helpful

Chris

0 Kudos