VMware Cloud Community
geschnei
Contributor
Contributor

Error provisioning OpenStack: Failed to Execute Task INNER

I have a problem deploying OpenStack using VIO 2.0.1. It always fails around 86% with the following error message:

Failed to execute task: INNER

Task execution failed: Task failed on the following nodes: ['10.52.41.15', '10.52.41.14']. Refer logs for more details..

(Controller)

The IP addresses belong to the two Controller-VMs.

Digging through the logs I get one of these error messages, depending on the SSL/StartTLS/None setting for Active Directory:

08:01:26.700 16952 ERROR keystone.common.wsgi [-] {'info': 'TLS: unable to get CN from peer certificate', 'desc': "Can't contact LDAP server"}

2016-03-01 13:18:25,311 p=572 u=jarvis |  failed: [10.52.41.14] => {"failed": true}

2016-03-01 13:18:25,312 p=572 u=jarvis |  msg: exception: name

When I change the configuration to use a local database instead of Active Directory It fails earlier with this error:

Task execution failed: Task failed because the following nodes were unreachable: ['10.52.41.23', '10.52.41.22'].

(Load Balancer)

And this entry in the log:

2016-03-01 14:52:52,979 p=572 u=jarvis |  fatal: [10.52.41.22] => SSH encountered an unknown error during the connection. We recommend you re-run the command using -vvvv, which will enable SSH debugging output to help diagnose the issue

2016-03-01 14:52:52,983 p=572 u=jarvis |  fatal: [10.52.41.23] => SSH encountered an unknown error during the connection. We recommend you re-run the command using -vvvv, which will enable SSH debugging output to help diagnose the issue

These IPs are from the two load balancer VMs.

I attached the log files from the vio appliance and the log files from the vsphere log collector from the last try.

openstack_error.png

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
taj1195
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The LDAP error shows

2016-02-29 16:28:59,916 p=572 u=jarvis |  msg: exception: An unexpected error prevented the server from fulfilling your request: {'info': 'TLS: unable to get CN from peer certificate', 'desc': "Can't contact LDAP server"} (Disable debug mode to suppress these details.) (HTTP 500)

we are looking into the other error

0 Kudos
geschnei
Contributor
Contributor

It might be noteworthy that we are using certificates from our own CA on the domain controllers, but, as mentioned earlier, the same problem (with a different error) persists when I disable encryption for the AD connection.

0 Kudos
sodonnell77
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into a similiar issue on deployment.  One of my ESXi hosts in the management cluster was not synching with an NTP server so the time was off.   Once I had the ESXi host time synched properly, I was able to deploy the servers with no issue.

0 Kudos
geschnei
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, but NTP was already configured correctly on all hosts.

0 Kudos
Netshoes
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe your problem is related with language.

I was with this problem too. Vmware sent information below.

Supported Languages

VMware Integrated OpenStack version 2.0.x is available in English and six additional languages: Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean, French, and German. ASCII characters must be used for all input and naming conventions of OpenStack resources (such as project names, usernames, image names, and so on) and for the underlying infrastructure components (such as ESXi hostnames, vSwitch port group names, data center names, datastore names, vSwitch port group names, and so on).

0 Kudos
geschnei
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion, but all components including the underlying OS are installed and used in english.

0 Kudos
geschnei
Contributor
Contributor

I just wanted to note that after updating the VIO appliance to the newly released 2.0.3 the problem persists.

0 Kudos
nluchetta
Contributor
Contributor

I just encountered the same issue.

I deselected SSL in the beginning of the installation and did not point to an LDAP server.

0 Kudos
JunW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You may have a look at ansible log at /var/log/jarvis/ansible.log from management server, and if you found something like fatal: [10.52.41.22] => SSH encountered an unknown error during the connection. You can retry your deployment by selecting UI->OpenStack Deployment->All Actions->Edit OpenStack Deployment. This is caused by unstable network usually, and a redeployment will solve the SSH unknown issue.

0 Kudos