VMware Cloud Community
rajeevtomar001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Does any ansible playbook to deploy Openstack component from VIO

I have found ansible library in VIO Management server @  /var/lib/vio/ansible

It seems this can be only used to configure not to  deploy Open stack components.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jbrowne
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Ansible is how we deploy OpenStack. All the Ansible playbooks are there, but Ansible will need a configuration file which is the piece that is missing.

So in conjunction with your previous post, I will investigate.

Regards,

John.

0 Kudos
rajeevtomar001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks  John for the reply

I am able to look playbook which does configuration part. But found these things missing

1. Playbook which create VM from the template and then deploy it

2. Login Credentials

3.Inventory file content.(at the start of deployment there will be only one host and after that host will be added)

4.Configuration file.

Or is it deployment follow below plan

1. Creation of VM from template is done for all nodes.

2. IPs /port group assigned

3.Ansible is installed on all nodes

4.Now Ansible is run on all nodes to configure themselves.

Any info regarding configuration and process will be helpful.

0 Kudos
lserpietri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Rajeev, as far as I'm aware, the workflow is similar to what you've described as second option: it's the OMS that will talk to vC through the plugin to deploy the VMs and configure their virtual hardware, not Ansible which is called into action once the VMs have network connectivity. Once the nodes are up and running, the OMS than executes the playbooks to configure the nodes. After a VIO deployment, have a look at the /var/log/oms/oms.log and the /varlog/jarvis/ansible.log on the OMS to see the different stages of the VIO deployment workflow.

Regards,

Luca

0 Kudos
rboswell
Contributor
Contributor

Rajeev, does the set of Ansible playbooks I pointed you to not fulfill your requirements (GitHub - vmware/ansible-role-vio‌ and GitHub - vmware/chaperone)? If not could you please provide some background as to why? If there are additional use cases around deploying VIO I'd like to get our code updated.

0 Kudos
rajeevtomar001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi ansible-role-vio is changed and now it contains additional capabilities as mentioned in https://github.com/vmware/ansible-role-vio/blob/master/tasks/vio_config.yml

But I have not found any updated code (python module/lib) corresponding to vio_deploy or  nsx_vds_id Even checked https://github.com/vmware/ansible-module-chaperone

name: Kick off VIO Deployment

vio_deploy:

oms_server: "{{ vio_oms_ip_address }}"

login: "{{ vio_oms_vcenter_username }}"

password: "{{ vio_oms_vcenter_pwd }}"

cluster_spec_json: "{{ vio_cluster_spec }}"

vio_deployment_name: "{{ vio_cluster_name }}"

state: 'present'

failed_when: not cluster_spec_file.stat.exists

0 Kudos