VMware Cloud Community
faillax23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Baremetal with VIO2

Anyone have an idea if baremetal works in VIO2 deploy?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KarolSte
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

By "not supported" I meant that we do not provide an automated way to install Ironic (as we do for Ceilometer), as well as we won't be able to help you if something goes wrong in such installation. Technically you could install Ironic side by side with VIO, but you will have to handle all the installation and configuration by yourself. Most likely VIO patches/upgrades to never versions will not work as well.

Karol

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
faillax23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Please

There somone of VMware staff which can answer to my question?

How VIO2 can support BareMetal?

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
KarolSte
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Could you clarify a bit what do you mean by supporting bare metal? If you mean spinning up instances directly on bare metal hosts (without ESX) through OpenStack Ironic, that's not supported.

0 Kudos
faillax23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Karol,

i'm working in a big project where i have also some physical machines.

This machines must to be physical because use custom input hardware.

This machines must be "dinamically" deployed.

So i think ironic can be a good idea...

When you say "is non supported" means that i cannot install ironic inside VIO?

Thank you very much Karol

PS

have you some idea also about this Broadcast / Multicast into Security Groups?

0 Kudos
eariasn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I think nothing stops you to install Ironic in a different cluster and auth against VIO Keystone, and whatnot.

0 Kudos
KarolSte
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

By "not supported" I meant that we do not provide an automated way to install Ironic (as we do for Ceilometer), as well as we won't be able to help you if something goes wrong in such installation. Technically you could install Ironic side by side with VIO, but you will have to handle all the installation and configuration by yourself. Most likely VIO patches/upgrades to never versions will not work as well.

Karol

0 Kudos
faillax23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

In the next version of VIO, do you think Ironic will be directly supported?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What is the hardware spec that you intend to use with Ironic? For eg: Server make/model, Switches, Storage...

Is there an expectation for the workloads provisioned on bare metal to interact with virtualized workloads? (For eg: IP connectivity is sufficient or both virtualized and bare metal need to be on the same VLAN... etc)

0 Kudos
faillax23
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

I intend to use "standard" workstations which work together with the virtualized instances, in the same external network or VXLAN, VLAN.

Now i'm trying to install ironic in a single node (cloned by VIO template) together with controller and compute node service.

0 Kudos