VMware Cloud Community
benjamin000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adding KVM Hypervisor

As VIO cannot be used for "proper" OpenStack usage due to there begin no Images that can be used for OpenStack and these images be used for SSH and/or Password Injection or can Instances be resized when using templates from vCenter. This overrides everything OpenStack and we have mistakenly installed and configured VIO and deployed over 180 Instances so I guess we are stuck with it.

To overcome this we want to install another hypervisor namesly KVM so we can use this hypervisor for the Instances that require resizing and other proper OpenStack options.

Can another hypervisor we added to an existing VIO deployment? IS it possible to deploy KVM in a host and then add that host to VIO ??

It is unfortunate that VMware do not provide Images and do not provide guides on using Images so that customers can use OpenStack with all the features of KVM.... I believe with the money that has been outlayed for NSX and all the other costs it would be nice to be able to use VIO in its fullest capacity. Maybe we are missing something but not having Linux Images that can be used for resizing, SSH Key injection is a massive downfall....If someone has a solution we would even be willing to pay handsomely for someone to create Ubuntu, CentOS and Debian images yet from what we have researched I do not think it is possible.

So if adding a KVM hypervisor to VIO is possible this would solve our issue as we can keep our normal Instances and new Linux Instances we can use KVM so customers can use SSH keys and benefit from image resizing.

Regards Ben McGuire
22 Replies
benjamin000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello

Yes I am aware that VIO can use most qcow2 image as VIO converts them when importing.

I think the whole issue to this problem is that I am not using shared storage and the current datastore that glance is using is local storage on one of the esxi hosts. overnight I purchased a an NFS storage from my server provider and am currently adding that to all hosts and also added glance to that storage but as I currently have images in the old glance datastore I cannot remove the images so I can remove that datastore as I need to remove it so that glance always uses the new NFS datastore and not the old local storage but am yet to find a way to move the old images to the new NFS store.

More research but Ill get there as I am learning much as I go however there are some things that I need help with because when i ask here it means I have spent weeks finding a solution to no avail.

I am hopeful that once I add the NFS store to each host so that every host has shared storage when it comes to glance that the issue with booting the cloud images will cease as I think at the moment the instances cannot find the image as it is on local storage on one of the hosts on the management cluster.

Regards Ben McGuire
0 Kudos
benjamin000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

OK I have some headway.

Now the virtual image size is the same as the example as before it was displaying a zero size. However STILL the Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Image states "Operating System Not Found "!!!!

Regards Ben McGuire
0 Kudos
benjamin000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It appears that the only way to get this working was to convert the Openstack Cloud image BEFORE uploading to glance.

Convert via qemu-img and make sure that when uploading that "IDE" is used as qemu-img converts to IDE.

I am not sure why VIO did not convert properly but for those with the same issue just convert the OpenStack Image BEFORE uploading to glance.

Regards Ben McGuire
0 Kudos