VMware Cloud Community
benjamin000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Adding Horizon Hostname

We have created a dev environment using VIO 3.1 and NSX 6.3.1 and all works well however due to the fact the during deployment we did not assign a VIP hostname so horizon is only accessible via the public IP and not any hostname as none was assigned.

How do we assign a hostname so that horizon can be accessed via public hostname and what needs to be done to use SSL both in horizon and noVNC ? There are multiple apache2 configu file and we are not sure what to change.

Regards Ben McGuire
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Benjamin,

I just found the following KB:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2147624&s...

that can be useful for the issue you are facing.

Please, let me know. if it helps!

Cheers,

Domenico

View solution in original post

4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Benjamin,

I just found the following KB:

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2147624&s...

that can be useful for the issue you are facing.

Please, let me know. if it helps!

Cheers,

Domenico

benjamin000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I am surprised it didnt appear in my googling Smiley Happy

Many thanks !!!!

Regards Ben McGuire
0 Kudos
benjamin000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello Dom

I finally got around to attempting this however it did not change the hostname.

I completed the following:-

1. Logged into Management Server

2. run this command:   /opt/vmware/vpostgres/current/bin/psql -U omsdb

3. UPDATE node_group SET attributes = regexp_replace(attributes, 'public_hostname":"PUBLIC_VIP"', 'public_hostname":"PUBLIC_HOSTNAME"', 'g') WHERE name = 'LoadBalancer';     I replaced PUBLIC_HOSTNAME with the URL i want to the Horizon Dashboard

4.  Run   viocli show -p

This output a .ini file which I then used vi to modify.

Searched for the line public_hostname =   ( The public IP was there so I changed it to the URL needed )

5. Run viocli deployment configure

This took about 10 minutes abd after t completed I again viewed the .ini file and it appears that the deployment creates a new file which has the public_hostname as the public IP which is what it originally was so this did not work.

The documentation is a little confusing as at the bottom it says VIO 3.0 should only need to update the public_hostname.

For VMware Integrated Openstack 3.0, perform these steps:

Note:

• The only thing you must update is public_hostname in OMS and run viocli deployment configure.
  • PUBLIC_VIP should be replaced with actual public vip used in the deployment
  • PUBLIC_HOSTNAME should be replaced with the desired hostname
  1. Log in to management server, switch to root user, and run this command:

/opt/vmware/vpostgres/current/bin/psql -U omsdb

2. Run viocli deployment configure.

Note: This will incur some downtime.

I know it did not work as when I generate an SSL CSR the IP is there and NOT the hostname. What am I doing wrong ?

Maybe marinod73​ and Sreec  has some insight.

Thanks in advance.

Regards Ben McGuire
0 Kudos
benjamin000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello

DO you have any further insight into this as I tried the guide and it did not seem to change.

Regards Ben McGuire
0 Kudos