VMware Edu & Cert Community
VincentHerreman
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Kivuto to D2L migration topic

In the Spring of 2020 VMware IT Academy will be migrating to D2L, a new Learning Management System (LMS). We will be migrating from Kivuto Solutions to D2L Brightspace. D2L is an industry leader and their LMS platform Brightspace is the ideal solution for our learning community.

This migration will affect VMUG license program members, the VMware IT Academy members, and the VMware Academic Software License members.

In this thread we will be engaging with the members of these programs on the various questions, comments or remarks that they might have.

Ask away!

25 Replies
AlvaroViquez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Will there be a price increase from one solution (Kivuto) to the other (D2L Brightspace?

0 Kudos
VincentHerreman
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, there will be a price change:

• The academic institution subscription fee will be 325 USD for up to 200 users.
  • For institutions with student numbers between 200 and 400 the amount will be 575 USD.
  • Institutions with 400+ students will receive a subscription fee based on their student #.
0 Kudos
dmbrooks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Our current VMware IT Academy subscription is paid up until July 2022.

How will this be affected?

AlvaroViquez
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello! You will have Kivuto Support until the last day of your subscription with Kivuto, you won't be affected, your time will be respected.

After your subscription ends in 2022 you will be asked to change to the new solution

Hope I was clear enough!

Do you have any more questions?

dmbrooks
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's what I was hoping to hear. :smileygrin:

Dunwoody1
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate this move. It is almost August now and I haven't seen any updates on the D2L transition in a while. How is it going? It would be great if it were running two weeks before the school year started.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi!

From a D2L perspective the platform is ready to be launched, we have experienced unexpected delays due to the current situation in the world, but this has given us more time to tune up the platform even more, adding more value for institutions as soon as they are able to migrate

We will have an update quite soon, thank you!

VincentHerreman
Community Manager
Community Manager

Update on the pricing that our resource portal provider D2L will charge to cover their costs:

- block of 200 user tokens: 330 USD

- block of 400 user tokens: 505 USD

If the payment is done through a purchase order there will be an additional 50 USD handling fee.

0 Kudos
RandyGShelton
Contributor
Contributor

When can we get access to D2L? Do we have to wait until our Kivuto runs out? 

0 Kudos
VincentHerreman
Community Manager
Community Manager

Once we go live with the D2L platform existing IT Academy institutions can obtain access to D2L prior to their existing portal portal running out, though there will be a new subscription fee to be paid towards D2L, and there won't be a refund from Kivuto.

So our recommendation is to remain with Kivuto until portal expiration and then sign up for D2L unless the D2L LMS functionality is required.

For those institutions that have portals that are about to expire, the D2L launch date is at least 5 weeks out, so until then please plan to renew your subscription with Kivuto for another year.

We thank you for your patience with us while we are working to get this right.

Best regards,

Vincent

0 Kudos
siuv
Contributor
Contributor

We have an existing active subscription at Kivuto at our university and we know that you will be migrating from Kivuto Solutions to D2L Brightspace. Our subscription will expire next month. Would it be possible to renew it for 3 more years in D2L? How can we do it? How will we do user validation?

0 Kudos
VincentHerreman
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello @siuv ,

Many thanks for being part of our academic program, joining our community page and sharing your questions with us.

1. Our subscription will expire next month. Would it be possible to renew it for 3 more years in D2L?

A: We haven't gone live with our D2L platform yet. I also anticipate that our launch will be later than the expiration date you mentioned. As such I would recommend you renew for one more year at Kivuto.

2. How will we do user validation?

A: I think you are asking about how you can add users to the D2L platform? If this is the case, we will have materials available that explain how to import student batches in the D2L platform and assign them to the program resources. If this was not what you wanted to learn, could you please expand your question a bit?

Hoping this helped,

Best regards,

Vincent

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
RandyGShelton
Contributor
Contributor

Is D2L live yet? If not, do you have a 'guestimate'?

0 Kudos
VincentHerreman
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Randy,

Thank you for sharing your question.

Considering the progress we are making, we anticipate to launch D2L near the end of April '21.

While this is our expectation, we can't guarantee it just yet.

Hope this helps,

Vincent

0 Kudos
RandyGShelton
Contributor
Contributor

Latest estimate on D2L going live?

0 Kudos
VincentHerreman
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Randy,

We have altered our D2L launch estimate to the end of May time-frame.

Thank you for your patience with us.

Vincent

0 Kudos
rs74802
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Our VMware Academic Program subscription is set to expire on 2021-04-24. What should I do? I do not want to pay a one year subscription fee to Kivuto and a month later pay a new subscription fee to D2L. Will Kivuto and D2L offer the same software from VMware one year from now?

0 Kudos
VincentHerreman
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello rs748020,

Many thanks for your question.

Our recommendation is to renew your academic portal one more year with Kivuto, for the following reasons:

1. We won't launch with D2L till late May timeframe, so after your portal expiration.

2. Once we do launch our platform at D2L, ONLY the portals that expire from that time on will be migrating from Kivuto to D2L.

3. So if you renew with Kivuto for another year now, your migration from Kivuto to D2L will be on 2022-04-24.

4. The resources available on the Kivuto portal will be also available on the D2L portal, obviously the portal functionality will be different.

5. We will update both portals with the same resources moving forward, so that during the transition from Kivuto to D2L all institutions have access to the same resources no matter the portal they have a subscription for at that time.

Hoping this helps you to make your decision on how to move forward in our academic programs,

Please let me know if I can help in any other way,

Vincent

0 Kudos
RandyGShelton
Contributor
Contributor

We let our Kivuto expire on 04/2020 and will re-do for D2L when it becomes available. Will this cause a problem?

0 Kudos