VMware Horizon Community
R_Mesa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Migrating Horizon off 2012 going to a 2019 server

I am working on my first migration of Horizon. I found one post. see below, but its 2020 and Horizon 7. I don't know if this applies. Does anyone have any experience in migrating these servers, does the article apply still? Here are the steps I found from an article. Going from server 2012 to 2019. We have 4 server, 2 of the replicas are already 2019.

High level steps to migrate connection server to 2019 OS will be as follow:

> Take a snapshot of all CS, composer server including composer DB backup and connection server ADAM database VMware Knowledge Base

> Install windows 2019 CS as a replica to existing 2012 server.

> Once installation is finished, make sure replication is working fine between both servers by running repadmin command. This is critical before moving forward. VMware Knowledge Base

> Do the same for remaining 2019 servers.

> Decommission existing 2012 servers following VMware Knowledge Base . This should done as early as possible otherwise ADAM database may get corrupt since 2012 and 2019 server will be using different AD LDS schema and keeping both in replication for longer run may cause conflicts.

> After this you can migrate composer to 2019 server as below:

• On new composer server, prepare the ODBC connection and create a system DSN to point to view composer DB.
  • On the old server, stop view composer service.
  • Install view composer on new server and point it to the ODBC.
  • Once installation is finished , login to view admin page.
    Navigate to View configuration > Servers > Edit > View composer >Edit and put the new server FQDN name and reauthenticate with user name and password > Click on 'Verify server information' > Ok.
  • Test the provisioning now.

In case of any confusion or doubt, please contact vmware support.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fabio1975
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ciao

which version of horizon do you have installed and which one do you want to upgrade to? If you are currently using 7.13.x do you have pools that use linked clones?

However here is the procedure for migrating to a new server and decommissioning the old server (for the last horizon connection server version):

Upgrade to the Latest Version of Connection Server on a Different Machine (vmware.com)

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Ciao

which version of horizon do you have installed and which one do you want to upgrade to? If you are currently using 7.13.x do you have pools that use linked clones?

However here is the procedure for migrating to a new server and decommissioning the old server (for the last horizon connection server version):

Upgrade to the Latest Version of Connection Server on a Different Machine (vmware.com)

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
R_Mesa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sorry for the late reply, we are running 8.7.0. This will be a like for like staying at 8.7. Just moving it off the 2012 server and moving it to a new 2019 server. We have a total of 4 server. 2 are already 2019 but they are the replica servers. No linked clones.  Just instant clone pools. Thank you, I guess I am just looking for the wrong keywords. I appreciate it

Bob

Tags (1)
0 Kudos