VMware Horizon Community
butlpau02
Contributor
Contributor

DHCP not Releasing

Hi there,

Have A Windows 10 20H2 Image on Horizon 7.13 onprem platform using Instant Clones.

VDI picks up ip address no issue from DHCP.  DHCP configured with Microsoft scope option to release on shutdown.  Checked registry on VDI and setting is there for the interface.  This is on the Master.

Spin up a few instant clones, they all get IPs, have the releaseonshutdown=1 setting but the IP Address doesn't release.  I know I can script it to release via GPO or whatever but would much rather fix the issue.  

Issue is on the client.  As Instant Clone is refresh on logoff and new MAC it gets a new IP and DHCP keep the original.  Could change lease on scope but not the solution either.  So lots of IP leases for same VDI name.

Thing is, manually IPCONFIG /Release works but not on shutdown.  Also, if I shutdown the VDI from console, it doesn't release and powers back up - but it I do it the second time, it releases it then.  Its like registry entry is there but needs a reboot for it to kick in.

I've checked the logs on ESXi and the DHCP release request is not sent to the DHCP Server.

Any ideas as to what if anything I am doing wrong or could try on the Master before creating the Instant Clones?

Cheers,

Paul.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A moderator should move your thread to the Horizon area now I have reported your thread.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
m1k3yr
Contributor
Contributor

Did you ever get an answer on this?  I have a similar problem where it appears that some of the machines do a dhcp release but not all.  Seems to have started back in January?  Maybe sooner.  We just went to 7.13.1 and we are also running Windows 10 20H2.  

We have tried all kinds of work arounds but bottom line is that the VDI machines are not releasing during shutdown, DHCP does not release IP, and does not update DNS.  New machines are built but have the old DNS record so IP is wrong.  

0 Kudos
JimFreid
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here.

0 Kudos