VMware Communities
rickeames
Contributor
Contributor

yet another activation question: same VM, copied to a new machine

So I copied a VM from one machine to another with Vista installed in it. In parallels, this just worked, no worries. In Fusion, I suddenlly am being asked by Vista to reactivate the OS.

Why?

Is there a way to not have this happen? I have the VM on a firewire drive and I carry it from one machine to another and now I am hosed.

Please advise. I can't have it ask me for a new activation each time I connect the drive to a particular computer.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Did you answer the prompt which appeared the first time you powered on the copied/moved VM on the new machine keep(moved it) or copy(copied it)? If you answered copy, then (1) a new UUID was generated so that VMware sees this guest as unique, and (2) a new MAC address was generated for the virtual NIC in the guest, so that both VMs could be on the network at the same time. If both (a) CPU has changed, and (b) NIC has changed, that constitutes enough of a change to trigger the reactivation.

0 Kudos
rickeames
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, so since I still have the original file from the other computer, if I recopy it and this time say "MOVED" I should be golden.

0 Kudos