VMware Communities
kevbec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

xp activation problem

i watched the video several times to make sure i was doing it right, but i must be missing something.

i thought i was suppose to ignore the activation prompt and install vmtools, but when i try to do that, nothing happens (ie; vmtools never install), and i get a warning that says i can not install until the guest operating system is running.

lastly, my activation isn't taking (oem) and i'd really like to not have to buy a copy of xp.

i made the vm from my work computer so i could run autocad and revit on my mac. is there anyway around my problems?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

lastly, my activation isn't taking (oem) and i'd really like to not have to buy a copy of xp.

i made the vm from my work computer so i could run autocad and revit on my mac. is there anyway around my problems?

If the Physical PC you want to convert to a Virtual Machine is using an OEM versions of Windows then understand that OEM versions of Windows are non-transferable by the EULA so if that is the case a clean build with a non OEM version of Windows is a better way to go for many reasons other then licensing.

Basically Windows Product Activation (WPA) is a part of Microsoft Windows not VMware Converter or VMware Fusion and therefore has nothing to do with either product from the standpoint of how to resolve this issue other then if possible it's best to have VMware Tools installed first otherwise one may have to activate twice. Other then that it is solely between you the End User of a Microsoft OS and Microsoft and therefore you need to activate your Windows OS either through the Internet of by calling Microsoft directly.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If the Physical PC you want to convert to a Virtual Machine is using an OEM versions of Windows then understand that OEM versions of Windows are non-transferable by the EULA so if that is the case a clean build with a non OEM version of Windows is a better way to go for many reasons other then licensing.

Basically Windows Product Activation (WPA) is a part of Microsoft Windows not VMware Converter or VMware Fusion and therefore has nothing to do with either product from the standpoint of how to resolve this issue other then if possible it's best to have VMware Tools installed first otherwise one may have to activate twice. Other then that it is solely between you the End User of a Microsoft OS and Microsoft and therefore you need to activate your Windows OS either through the Internet of by calling Microsoft directly.

0 Kudos
kevbec
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Woody,

Thanks for the answer.

I will talk with our IT guys and see what they suggest (they were the original guys who hooked me up with VM).

Happy New Year!

0 Kudos