VMware Communities
hooksetter
Contributor
Contributor

windows install error - pic attached

I installed Fusion and started installing xp. I get the error seen below. The disk I am using has XP on it and when I put it in a windows machine it comes right up with a window to install XP.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I installed Fusion and started installing xp. I get the error seen below. The disk I am using has XP on it and when I put it in a windows machine it comes right up with a window to install XP.

Sounds like maybe the CD/DVD-ROM is not being grabbed as the first boot device, which in the BIOS is not anyway, although when you use the Windows Easy Install and proceed straight through to creating the VM it is suppose to grab the CD/DVD-ROM first one time. So I'd suggest going into the BIOS and set the CD-ROM to be the first Boot Device. You can also add a boot delay entry or a entry to force it into the BIOS one time to the VM's .vmx configuration file to help you getting into the BIOS as it goes by so fast it hard to press Esc to select a boot device or F2 to get into the BIOS to make changes.

Add the following to the VM's .vmx file.

bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE"

and or

bios.bootDelay = "3000

Information about the .vmx file can be found in: .

Have a look at the following to enable the ability to easily access the BIOS or use the Boot Menu.

Look at the Boot Delay section in:

0 Kudos
hooksetter
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help Woody. I added that script to the .vmx file but still no luck

I had a similar error happen to me last week when trying to install Parallels with this same XP disk. Is it possible that it could be the xp disk?

Attached is a copy of the error that comes up when using Parallels

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks for the help Woody. I added that script to the .vmx file but still no luck I had a similar error happen to me last week when trying to install Parallels with this same XP disk. Is it possible that it could be the xp disk?

Can you boot a physical system with the XP Disc in question? If no then there might be your answer! If the XP disc is not bootable then you could try doing a manual install using the XP boot floppies available from Microsoft. You will need to make floppy disk images as you can not boot a Fusion Virtual Machine from an actual physical floppy disk drive at the present time.

You can also try installing from an ISO Image of the XP Disc if it's a bootable disc.

0 Kudos
hooksetter
Contributor
Contributor

Well I went and borrowed a friend's XP disc and made a little more progress. Until I got this

I was a little surprised by this error

0 Kudos