VMware Communities
coloradogold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

windows 7 pro "updating " locks up when exiting on vmware 4.1

when closing out of windows 7 pro on VMware, updating windows occurs but hangs at 2 out of 9 updates.  I'm now locked out of windows and can only power down to get back to mac os.  how to solve?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
alwaysnodowntim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hold down either the Option key or the Alt key that switches the commands in the Virtual Machine menu and the applications menu. You should then be able to see the power off button to click.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
alwaysnodowntim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is more a Windows issue rather than vSphere. How long have you waited, for the updates to apply before powering off?

1. Be patient and let Windows apply the update.  Patience can be key with Microsoft products

2. Boot to safe mode and remove the most recent updates one by one with a reboot after each uninstall takes place until you have a successful shutdown.

3. I would do a system restore a time before the updates were downloaded and installed.  Once you have picked a system restore date and the restore is successful, go to windows update and change the option of how to get the updates to "i will choose to download and install."  Then download and install one update at a time to find the culprit. Once you find the culprit, boot to Safe Mode and uninstall that update if it did install.  Then reboot to normal windows 7

0 Kudos
coloradogold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

this for the quick response. I waited all night long. I actually installed the same updates when turning off my old pc last night and they took a few minutes all total. So i know the problem lies on my mac/vmware program somewhere . . .

0 Kudos
alwaysnodowntim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you have an error relating to the updates within event viewer? Also, did you check the windowsupdate.log file?  The file should be located in %windir% \windoupdatelog

also, with additional help with the windowsupdate.log file click this link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

If you do find any errors for windows updates, see the below link for their respective codes and issue.

http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/windows_update_codes.htm

Let me know if you find anything or not and we will move on from there.

0 Kudos
coloradogold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you. I must explain that my technical knowledge is lacking. I don't know how to access the virtual MS windows to find a "log" as I can't open it. When I access my Virtual Machine Library, I get two options: Boot Camp and Windows 7 x64. When I click on Windows 7x64 it still tries to complete the updating process and is hung on that and I can go no further. When I open Boot Camp all it does is boot up the old windows 7 Pro installed version, absent the new content that was migrated.

I don't even know how to do what you are explaining below. I'm afraid I would need step by step instructions to proceed.

0 Kudos
alwaysnodowntim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Have you attempted to select and power off the windows 7 virtual machine yet?

0 Kudos
coloradogold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
coloradogold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I do that?

0 Kudos
alwaysnodowntim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hold down the option key on the Virtual Machine menu to change the power commands to Power Off, Suspend, and Reset. Choose "Power Off"

After the virtual machine is powered down, power it back on and wait for Windows to boot.  Did it boot successfully?

0 Kudos
coloradogold
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When i click on the virtual machine icon on the dock, the virtual machine library comes up. There isn't any virtual machine "menu" present.

0 Kudos
alwaysnodowntim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hold down either the Option key or the Alt key that switches the commands in the Virtual Machine menu and the applications menu. You should then be able to see the power off button to click.

0 Kudos