VMware Communities
johngar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

windows 10

Can I install Windows 10 on an existing virtual machine ? (MacOS 10.15.7/VMwareFusion 11.5.0)  The virtual Machine has Windows 2000 which will no longer work under Fusion 12. I assume I can make a copy of the existing virtual machine for safety and install Windows 10 on the original. The instructions for installing Windows  10 only mention using the new machine commands. If this is the only way, can the software and files in the W2000 machine be transferred to the new W10 machine?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You would create a new Windows 10 VM first.

Then you add the disk of the Win 2000 VM as a second disk to the the new VM.
Then you can decide wether you just keep the second vmdk or copy over the data ...

Ulli

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I do not think a Windows 2000 to Windows 10 upgrade is supported.  My Windows 2000 VM works just fine under macOS 11.2.1 and Fusion 12.1.0 though.  Its ancient version of the AirPort Admin Utility sees my Airports/Time Capsule so the network still works.  What makes you think Windows 2000 will not work under Fusion 12?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You would create a new Windows 10 VM first.

Then you add the disk of the Win 2000 VM as a second disk to the the new VM.
Then you can decide wether you just keep the second vmdk or copy over the data ...

Ulli

0 Kudos
johngar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick and useful reply

0 Kudos
johngar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I should have said that I need to upgrade to Windows 10 in order to upgrade the Windows software I am using, that is what won't work with Windows 2000.

0 Kudos