VMware Communities
ALTO85
Contributor
Contributor

win7

I used the virtual machine on win10 and I transferred the files in fusion 13 environment but the virtual machine does not work. Recommendations?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@ALTO85 wrote:

Recommendations?

More information would be helpful.

I assume that when you say "I transferred the files in fusion 13 environment" that you moved virtual machine files to the Mac from a PC. Could you confirm how you transferred the files over?

Can you be more specific when you say "the virtual machine does not work". What doesn't work? Error messages or screen shots would be helpful. 

What Mac model and macOS version are you using? If it's an Apple Silicon Mac (M1 or M2 Mac), then that Windows 7 VM will not run under any virtualization product. The Apple Silicon chips is not an Intel compatible chip, so it will not run virtual machines that were built on Intel PCs or Intel Macs.

Otherwise, please post the vmware.log file found in the virtual machine's bundle folder so that we can help you figure out what's happening.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
ALTO85
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your replay

Yes "I transferred the files in fusion 13 environment" moving virtual machine files to the Mac from a PC (WIN10 non WIN7,sorry)

My MAC is:

MacBook Pro di Alberto
Chip: Apple M2 Max
macOS Ventura. ver 13.2.1

I found the same problem for LINUX virtual machine. Is it the same problem?

I am traveling using PS WIN10 and I will try to send the log file soon.

Have  a nice week end anche thanks again

alberto

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, since you have an M2 Mac using Apple-ARM-based CPU, you will NOT be able to run any virtual machines using an Intel x86/x86-64-based CPU code. 

0 Kudos
ALTO85
Contributor
Contributor

Dear all,

my computer is:

MacBook Pro di Alberto, Chip: Apple M2 Max, macOS Ventura. ver 13.2.1

QUESTION 1
I need to buy version 13 and would like to have a confirmation that using MAC it is possible to virtualize my windows 10 PC and use the virtual machine created in this way
QUESTION 2
until now I have been using window10; I was using virtual machines WIN7, linux and winXP.
Using version 13 on my MAC will I be able to use such virtual machines?
0 Kudos
ALTO85
Contributor
Contributor

Another comment:

It is my intention to buy version 13 PRO
https://store-us.vmware.com/fusion_buy_dual#GS
but I would first like to get confirmations on the two questions I sent you.

thanks

alberto

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@ALTO85 

You can not run any virtual machine on an M1/M2 Mac whose operating system requires an Intel processor. The M1/M2 processors are ARM CPUs and can't run operating systems that require Intel. And Fusion on Apple Silicon does not emulate an Intel processor. ( and even if it did, you would not be happy with the performance).

Parallels behaves the same way, so this isn't a VMware-only issue. Apple made the decision to move away from Intel, and this is one of the consequences.

Question 1:

No. Your existing PC has an Intel or AMD chip, so you can't do a physical to virtual transfer to a M1/M2 Mac and expect it to run.

You could build a new virtual machine that runs the ARM version of Windows 11, move any documents you have to the VM, and re-install all of your software. And test that it all works on Windows 11 ARM  (there are a few programs built for Intel Windows that will not work on Windows 11 ARM and that's on Microsoft, not VMware).  

Question 2:

None of your existing virtual machines built on an Intel Mac will run on an M1/M2 Mac. You need to run operating systems that run on ARM architecture CPUs. 

For Windows XP and 7, Microsoft does not provide a version that runs on ARM architecture. Windows 10 does have an ARM variant, but it is essentially obsolete and is not supported by VMware on M1/M2 Macs. You would have to run the ARM version of Windows 11 and then migrate all your data and applications.

For Linux, you would have to build a new virtual machine using Linux distributions that provide a variant for arm64 or aarch64. Fortunately, most distributions do have support for ARM processors. 

You might want to have a look at two documents in the VMware Fusion Documents section of this forum:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Documents/Running-Fusion-on-an-Intel-Mac-and-upgradi...

and

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Documents/The-Unofficial-Fusion-13-for-Apple-Silicon...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos