VMware Communities
dcmd
Contributor
Contributor

win xp disappears from vmware library... can't open manually - help!

I cannot find a solution on the website and I don't have time to diagnose this myself. This is why I got the macbook pro to begin with.I still have some win xp apps, hence this software. worked okay initially a few months ago but then hung on closing, so I reinstalled from scratch win xp ("version 2") which has been working without difficulty for a couple months. saved snapshot thinking could restore if problems. THIS time, closed normally on last use, no issues, then opened vmware and neither xp or xp version 2 is in library window. where did they go?! I went to vmware menu, open recent , also not there. so vwmare menu, open, found the virtual machines listed, should be correct file type etc and failed to open. error message is "not a valid file....."

I will say this - I'm not impressed with vmware (and they want me to pay for support?). It's as buggy as windows itself. I hope someone can convince me otherwise.... Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
glibik
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will state at the outset that I have zero experience with VMware on Mac,

so this may not be applicable;

My suggestion is to ensure that, before starting the VMware application,

BTW You didn't state which VMware product or version you have.

P.S.

Yeah, I agree the VMware support policy is a bit sucky. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
dcmd
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. It's VMware fusion 1.1; the computer is macbook pro running mac os 10.4. Now I'm worried I won't be able to recover documents stored in "virtual" windows, e.g. some photos and quicken backup file. Perhaps I should really be asking how to rescue them. and THEN how to recover my win xp desktop etc. SOS!

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Your post has been moved to the VMware Fusion forum

Dave Mishchenko

VMware Communities User Moderator

0 Kudos