VMware Communities
zaidocram
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

when open VMware fusion to run windows my computer goes super slow

I got windows vista but when i try to open by vmware fusion I have to wait up to 16 minutes to windows start up and others 15 minustes to log in my user, after around half an houer I have to wait 8 minutes to open a windows, even worse my mac also get slow, I have to wait up to 3 minutes just to go from a window to another, I still have the OS 10.4.11but i don't think it should be like that, can someone help me to make it faster please? Thank you so much

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

the virtual machine / setting / memory is on 816 MB, I couldn't modify.

I remind the first two times i went to windows it run normally.

You can only modify VM settings if the VM is powered off.

If your host has 1 GB of RAM and you are trying to give 816 MB to the guest, (plus the guest actually has some additional overhead for it, for the video graphics RAM and a few minor items), you are starving your host! When running a virtual machine, your host STILL needs enough RAM and CPU resources to run other tasks it needs to do.

I find it very hard to believe that "the first 2 times you went to windows it ran normally" with this configuration. Other than the fact that for Vista, it probably is "normal", as Vista is an overbloated pig of an OS.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

How much RAM does your host have? How much have you assigned to the Vista guest?

zaidocram
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Actually I don't know much of it, all I could find out is the memory on about this mac: 1 GB 667 MHz RAM

I didn't make a partition not using boot camp

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Look at the Fusion settings for the Vista VM. There should be an entry for Memory... most likely it's set to more than 512 MB. And if your host only has 1 GB, you are going to encounter a LOT of swapping activity. Put more RAM in your machine if you want better guest performance.

zaidocram
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
zaidocram
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can only modify VM settings if the VM is powered off.

If your host has 1 GB of RAM and you are trying to give 816 MB to the guest, (plus the guest actually has some additional overhead for it, for the video graphics RAM and a few minor items), you are starving your host! When running a virtual machine, your host STILL needs enough RAM and CPU resources to run other tasks it needs to do.

I find it very hard to believe that "the first 2 times you went to windows it ran normally" with this configuration. Other than the fact that for Vista, it probably is "normal", as Vista is an overbloated pig of an OS.

0 Kudos
zaidocram
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok thank you, I could move the mamory back to 512 MB and I started the windows I am alow to use my mac almost normally (as i can write back with out waiting and difficul like the doble text it send last time.

Also it help windows too, it looks like it's running a little bit faster, it just took 5 min to start up and 1 to log in.

Thank you so much your the best

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To add to what RDPetruska has already said...

While it's technically possible to run Fusion and Windows Vista when the Host only has 1 GB of RAM (Memory) it obviously is not practical and if you expect to have any performance on the Host while running Vista as Guest then you meed to have a minimum of 2 GB RAM on the Host while giving no more then 768 MB RAM to the Vista when you have 2 GB RAM on the Host.

In the interim your going to have to only give Vista 384 MB of RAM an be sure Vista's Virtual memory is set to at least 1024 MB and then you should at least be able to function. I'd also suggest minimizing what applications you run in both the Host and Guest concurrently to improve performance between them.

0 Kudos