VMware Communities
bigrock0
Contributor
Contributor

vote: growable or fixed disk?

What do you prefer / use and why?

I switch back and forth.. I'd like to find out what you guys are using and for what reason. Performance? Simpler to manage?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

When I teach training classes on VMware's other products, I explain the choice as one between the best disk I/O performance and the greatest convenience.

Most people who run casual desktop applications inside their VMs will never notice the small additional disk performance overhead that occurs when it's necessary to grow a growable disk. I suspect that this category of people includes many Fusion users. So for these folks, it's very desirable to have virtual disks that only occupy space when needed. You probably noticed that Fusion, like Workstation, defaults to growable disks.

By way of comparison: VMware's ESX Server product defaults to fixed-size, pre-allocated disks. (In fact, at present it does not support the same kind of growable disks that Workstationesque products do.) This is because ESX Server is usually used for running, well, servers. For server applications running in production, I/O performance is usually more important than administrator convenience.

Linh_My
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My main objective is to archive and carry single purpose computers on a disk. I want to carry my DVD(s) internationally and have my setup run my OS/App/data on what ever OS and computer that I find. Given that grow-able also means shrinkable, grow-able best fits my VM to my transportation media.

0 Kudos
Dr_Dave
Contributor
Contributor

Why not have the best of both worlds....

It maskes sense to me to have a fixed-sized disk for the system disk. While the size of the system disk can be known, set up a second disk that is growable, for applications and user data.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Ooops, I think we are using the word "growable" to mean two different things.

Any VMware virtual disk is "growable" in the sense that a human being can statically resize it: using vmware-vdiskmanager (on Fusion and other Workstation-family products) or vmkfstools (on ESX Server). Of course, that's often not the end of the story: you usually have to resize the partition inside the virtual disk (unless it was in use by Windows as what it calls a "dynamic disk"), and, if it was bootable, fix its bootloader so that it correctly points at the boot image once again. Dr Dave's advice about building virtual machines with two virtual disks, one for the system and one for data, is extremely wise, no matter what kind of virtual disks you have.

But the choice that bigrock0 asked about is different, and completely independent: should a virtual disk's capacity be pre-allocated, or should disk space be allocated as it is necessary? Maybe a better term for the latter kind, instead of "growable," might be "dynamically growing."

Dynamically-growing virtual disks trade away some disk I/O speed in favor of not having to commit all your disk space up front. Statically pre-allocated virtual disks offer slightly better and more predictable disk I/O, at the cost of a bigger up-front investment of disk space.

0 Kudos
coopermj
Contributor
Contributor

If I could add a question -- which has better performance:

pre-allocated or using a disk partition?

I could see gains either way and I've always wondered.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

I would say pre-allocated has consistently[/i] fast performance so long as you keep the disk de-fragmented. The dynamically allocated one suffers from having to keep both the internal disk representation defragmented as well as the host container defragmented.

For myself, I've decided that my Boot Camp partition will be my pre-allocated machine and all of my other Fusion guest VMs will remain as pre-allocated disks on my OS HFS+ partition.

0 Kudos
Linh_My
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As usual you have good points. I suspect that I will eventualy settle on a two disk enviroment, one disk VM/OS/app and one disk data. The VM/OS/App disk would be fixed size and the data disk growable. That should also severly limit the number of DL DVDs needed for archiving data. I see no problim keeping WinXP, Win2k, NT-4 and Win98 disks under 4 gig SL DVD. Vesta will be a diffrent story, It apears to require a DL DVD just for the VM/OS

0 Kudos