VMware Communities
Piggy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmxdriver and vmware-tools in RHEL 4

I've installed two different configurations of RHEL 4.6 and installed VMware Tools. The first is a basic installation with just graphics and administration tools. The second is minimal choosing the 'minimal' installation option for firewalls and such.

vmxdriver -

1. Should I install it? I searched the forums and it looks like I should but I also saw where people said performance was slower with the default drivers

2. It won't install and returns an error about 'Module pcnet32 does not exist in /proc/modules'. I assume I need to install something additional for this to work. I'm a techie but not unix guru. Can you tell me what I need to install and if you know the Linux command to launch the appropriate installer that would be great, too. Smiley Happy

tools doesn't work -

1. Tools doesn't work in the minimal installation. Specifically, I cannot move my mouse seemlesly between the VM guest and Mac OS. Since this installation installed no additional packages, can you tell me what I need to install? The difference between this guest and the basic guest is 1 GB so I'd definately like to be able to use this guest if possible as I have a server application that works fine on it and will be cloning the vm to use for different application versions. But I do need to float between Mac OS and the guest so I'd really like to not have to release the mouse cursor every time. Smiley Wink

Switching between multiple VM guests -

Is there a way to do this via the keyboard? I searched the forum and see it's been requested but they were old messages so I'm not sure if it's been addressed and I just can't figure it out.

Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Piggy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bump

0 Kudos