VMware Communities
tim108
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware will not start -guest xp 32 bit service pack 3

Running vmware guest xp 32 bit service pack 3 will not start host is mac osx 10.6.4

see zip files in next post as per woody comments

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You still have not edited your original post and removed the copy and pasted log file content..

Okay I can boot a Window XP Virtual Machine with your .vmx configuration file so at least its okay however you need to provide adequate information to help diagnose your issue and while the vmware.log file can be helpful it doesn't always tell the whole story so have a look at as a guideline and then provide more details then just "vmware will not start -guest xp 32 bit service pack 3".

Don't forget to edit the original post and removed the copy and pasted log file content! Smiley Wink

(Just in case... On the right side near top under Actions click Edit thread.)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
tim108
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

First line to fail is here

Nov 03 17:07:30.888: vmx| http://msg.dictionary.load.openFailed Cannot open file "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/messages/en/vmware.vmsg": No such file or directory.

there is no en file in that directory?

should there be/

there is de, es , fr, it, ja and zh-Hans

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It's one thing to post a few lines from a log file and is acceptable to do however it is totally unacceptable to copy and past large segments or the entire log! It is preferred that you archive the log files and then and attach the .zip file and not post 1312 lines much less the fact its wrapped to twice that.

Edit the OP and remove the contents of the log file and then archive and attach it as a .zip file and if you need help with that have a look at the directions in .

tim108
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yes it was to much to post and thankyou for the page link after looking at the page here are three files in zip format

tim

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You have the Virtual Machine's Startup Device set to "Network Adapter NAT" so change it to "Hard Disk IDE Disk".

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Virtual Machine > Settings... > Advanced > Startup Device

0 Kudos
tim108
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thankyou for your reply WoodyZ but still the black screen here are the logs after making the change in your last post

tim

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You still have not edited your original post and removed the copy and pasted log file content..

Okay I can boot a Window XP Virtual Machine with your .vmx configuration file so at least its okay however you need to provide adequate information to help diagnose your issue and while the vmware.log file can be helpful it doesn't always tell the whole story so have a look at as a guideline and then provide more details then just "vmware will not start -guest xp 32 bit service pack 3".

Don't forget to edit the original post and removed the copy and pasted log file content! Smiley Wink

(Just in case... On the right side near top under Actions click Edit thread.)

0 Kudos
tim108
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thankyou for your continued support WoodyZ

Its false to say windows will not start, it does start but does not complete the cycle .

I have enabled debugging

Here are three files attached which may help, the M50072.lck file was taken out of the directory/folder called

Windows XP proffessional.vmx.lck

There is also a file called Windows XP proffessional.vmsd but has zero bytes

tim

0 Kudos
tim108
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here are two files which may be of futher help

tim

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You have already marked the thread as Answered Correctly so I'm not sure why you keep attaching the .lck files as in the context of your issue they are meaningless files providing they don't exist after the Virtual Machine has been shutdown and VMware Fusion closed.

If you're still having a problem then reread what I previously said and I'll say it again ...

... "however you need to provide adequate information to help diagnose your issue and while the vmware.log file can be helpful it doesn't always tell the whole story so have a look at as a guideline and then provide more details then just "vmware will not start -guest xp 32 bit service pack 3"" ... and additionally since I asked for more details "Its false to say windows will not start, it does start but does not complete the cycle".

What you've said so far is ambiguous at best and worthless for troubleshooting and is basically why I didn't respond further after your next reply after I originally asked of more details.

If you just want to recover user data and move on then try using VMDKMounter.

VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Search > type VMDKMounter and then select Use VMDKMounter to Mount a Virtual Disk as a Mac Volume

0 Kudos
tim108
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thankyou for your post today

I have informed by a family member who was useing windows developed a virus after downloading software

so what you suggest to recover data is best option. There is 30gigs to recover

there are 98 vmdk's

tim

0 Kudos