VMware Communities
arnaudsj
Contributor
Contributor

vmware-vdiskmanager ?

Hi,

Are there any plans to ship the vmware-vdiskmanager command line util with Fusion ? I brought over some of my VMs I currently run on a Linux host, and it runs fine but I would like to allocate a little bit more space and I don't have this as an option right now. Once the HD is created in Fusion, I can't edit it.

It seems like the little command line util "vmware-vdiskmanager" should be an easy one to port over to OS X and help a lot of us to resize, defrag or whatever our VMDK files.

BTW, any plans as well to give more options at the VM creation such as VMDK preallocated, 2GB disk file splt? It seems that the Fusion engine supports it since I can run the VM guests I brought over with those features, just not able to give the option in the UI.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Here's a prior discussion on vmware-vdiskmanager on OS X:

http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=497844

0 Kudos
arnaudsj
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the pointer. Hopes this great little util is ported soon though Smiley Wink

As far as compression, I really enjoy lzop for those big VMDK files. It is a very fast compression/decompression engine. Does not compress as good as bzip2, but does not take forever either on large files. It's very low on CPU usage as well, so I actually use it as a way to backup VMserver VMDK guest files.

I guess another alternative is to install vdiskmanager on a linux guest VM in fusion and map the files to resize via NFS or another network sharing protocols Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It a very good suggestion. I don't expect it would take us more than a day to port vmware-vdiskmanager and ship it with Fusion. Please file a feature request, so this suggestion does not fall into the cracks.

0 Kudos
arnaudsj
Contributor
Contributor

Filed as support request 346453.

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks!

0 Kudos