VMware Communities
thelliez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmware tools inverted logic?

I just upgraded from 2.0 to 2.0.1. This is from a previous 1.1.3 upgrade.

The 'loading' time is much faster, thank you! But the Unity mode is gone (option in grey).

I have uninstalled vmware tools, rebooted twice and each time canceled whatever Windows wanted to install, re-installed vmware tools (which gave me the version number 7.9.3. build 128865). Still no Unity mode.

I noticed that when I uninstall VMWare tools, my XP system works actually better: Response time is fast and I do not have to press Command-Control to switch between Windwos and Mac. Is there some sort of inverted logic here? Something that did not uninstall correctly? How do I really remove VMWare tools?

Thanks,

Thierry

0 Kudos
3 Replies
thelliez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I gave it another try and again uninstalled VMWare tools. I noticed that registry entries are left behind.

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/VMware, Inc./ there are three entries after uninstallation:

Guest Customization

VMWare Converter

VMWare Tools

Shouldn't the first and last ones be removed after a VMWare tools uninstallation?

The tools icon on the bottom right is gone and Fusion is saying 'VMWare Tools is not installed, Choose...'. So at least part of the tools are removed.

But again I do not have to press Command+Control to get out of Windows. Isn't VMWare tools required for that? I just uninstalled it!

Thierry

0 Kudos
thelliez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

After a full uninstall, reboot x 3, and re-install, I still do not have the Unity option available for an XP VM... It was working under 2.0.

I started another VM running W2K3 and it had no problem (I updated its VMware tools as well). The XP one, the one with the problem, had been converted from a physical laptop, installed under 1.1.3, migrated to 2.0 and then 2.0.1.

I compared the registry entries of both the W2K3 and the XP VMs. No difference under the VMware Tools entries. And the same version of VMware tools has been installed on the two systems (128865).

The VM Converter that was left on the XP system was uninstalled, just in case. This did not make a difference.

I still noticed the strange behaviour that if I uninstall VMWare tools and reboot, I do not have to press Command+Control to switch environment. All my other VMs require VMware tools to be installed for that! How is that possible???

Suggestions?

Thierry

0 Kudos
Pbryanw
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi thelliez,

You might want to look at this thread

I was having the same problem with Unity not working with 2.0.1. tools installed.

The solution seems to be to install the VMware tools from Fusion 2.0.0. until a better fix, or proper solution, can be found.