VMware Communities
bejay
Contributor
Contributor

vmware tools greyed out

Hi experts,

Want to switch from parallels to vmware. Installed the demo, converted the paralles virtual machine with xp. I have a MBP 2010 with mountain lion. However, i cannot install vmware tools as this option is greyed out. What is wrong here?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
bejay
Contributor
Contributor

...or does this mean vmware tools are already installed? Sorry I am not an experienced user. I have problems getting this run properly: Cannot print via the mac printer or access saved files - but the required boxes are checked.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

bejay wrote: i cannot install vmware tools as this option is greyed out. What is wrong here?

If the Virtual Machine is not running then the command being grayed out is normal.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

0 Kudos
Bayvista170
Contributor
Contributor

The VM (W10) is running correctly but vmware tools is greyed out

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What OS is the VM configured for?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Bayvista170
Contributor
Contributor

The host is Linux Mint 20. Guest is Windows 10.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

My question wasn’t “What OS have you installed inside the VM?” but specifically “What OS is the VM configured to run in the VM settings?” - if the answer to the second question differs that might explain the issue.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Bayvista170
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I had two problems - I had allocated too much memory and my graphics is not supported. Mesa DRI Intel - HD Graphics 400. I tried VirtualBox and it worked fine. Thanks.

0 Kudos