VMware Communities
ejbrennan99
Contributor
Contributor

vmware fusion on m1 'goal'

I understand 'we are working on it', and I also understand that the likelihood of pinning anyone down with a target date is not going to happen - none-the-less, I need to make a hardware purchase decision soon so at least want to understand what the vmware fusion goal is, because I don't necessarily understand the underlying details of what needs to happen, so:

I would prefer to stay in OSX - I currently use both a MBP16 with vmware fusion and a dell workstation running workstation 16 - and with that combo I can easily move my VM's back and forth between the two - usually developing on the Mac, and then moving vm's onto my workstation to run continuously.

I also run a mix of about a dozen VM's: windows 10, 7, server 2012 and server 2016 - and yes, even a 'mission-critical windows xp machine that needs to run at least 5 more years. (There is no way to port the application that runs on this for less than 750K, which is a non-starter).

It seems a lot of the talk is around getting an arm version of windows working - at least first - on the apple ARM machines, but will it even ever be possible to support previously built VM's (like my list above), on an M1? Is that even a goal at this point - is the only goal to be able to support brand new installs of windows? 

Reason I am asking: need to purchase a new machine, considering a macpro loaded with disk and memory to server as both my new development machine, AND to host and run my old VM's - a current macpro with intel chip can do this well - but don't want to drop $15K on a pro level workstation if it is just about to be made obsolete by apple - on the other hand, if running old vm's on a new macpro with apple silicon will never be possible (or satisfactory) - at least I would feel like I am not wasting my money if I can get 5+ years out of the macpro investment.

Anyone?

0 Kudos
21 Replies
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

… Forgot about Windows Hello: anyway, I don’t use it, so it was easier to make on ordinary VM, without TPM. BTW, in this document:

download.microsoft.com/download/7/8/8/788bf5ab-0751-4928-a22c-dffdc23c27f2/Minimum%20Hardware%20Requirements%20for%20Windows%2011.pdf

… they say that certain requirements are ignored when Windows 11 detects a virtual environment:

5 Virtual Machine
Microsoft recognizes that the user experience when running the Windows 11 in virtualized environments may vary from the experience when running non-virtualized. So, while Microsoft recommends that all virtualized instances of the Windows 11 follow the same minimum hardware requirements as described in Section 1.2, the Windows 11 does not apply the hardware-compliance check for virtualized instances either during setup or upgrade. Note that, if the virtualized environment is provisioned such that it does not meet the minimum requirements, this will have an impact to aspects of the user experience when running the OS in the virtualized environment.

This works in Fusion, while strangely Parallels doesn’t yet seem to be recognized as a virtual environment…

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Payback for the EULA violation ;-)?

tongue planted firmly in cheek there....

0 Kudos