VMware Communities
andru16
Contributor
Contributor

vmware fusion hangs on 12-core MacPro

I can't seem to get fusion to run properly on the new 12-core MacPro and I've just read similar issues that are faced by people who have just upgraded to the new 4 core MacBook Pros. It boots up and then hangs. I can't even get it through halfway of an install of Windows XP/

Will there be a resolution soon? I've been trying to get this working since mid December.

Incidentally, since I couldn't get fusion working, I tried virtualbox 4 and Parallels 6 to see if the issue manifested there. It does. It looks like the virtualization infrastructure has been changed between processors.

So now the question is when will vmware, parallels or oracle get this fixed?

AW

-- Andrew
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Would you mind posting the output of your Help > Collect Support Information so we can see?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

So now the question is when will vmware, parallels or oracle get this fixed?

Any bets on who will have it fixed first and last? Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
andru16
Contributor
Contributor

Sure. Let me do that.

AW

-- Andrew
0 Kudos
andru16
Contributor
Contributor

OK here's the support info you wanted.

-- Andrew
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks 😃

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
andru16
Contributor
Contributor

I have a feeling that Parallels will have this fixed first because I notified them first of this issue in late December last year and they have escalated it to their dev team. They have told me that the fix will be made available in the next update.

I think the last to have the issue fixed will be virtualbox.

VMware will probably come in second, unless this turns into a contest between vmware and Parallels.

-- Andrew
0 Kudos
andru16
Contributor
Contributor

Is there any resolution to this issue yet? It's been a few months since. I'm still waiting on Parallels do you think you guys will have a resolution before them?

-- Andrew
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It's been a few months since.

Not sure from when you started counting however this thread is only one and a half months old, so it's not even a couple months old yet much less a few.

0 Kudos
andru16
Contributor
Contributor

I guess it's because I've been dealing with this issue since mid December 2010. It took me a couple of months before I realized that NONE of the virtualization solutions worked on the 12-core.

I sorta gave up finding a solution with Parallels after working over 2 months with their tech support early this year, my issue with them was actually escalated to their Level 2 support. Their Level 2 support concluded that that there was no solution available until a new build is created to address the issue.

I decided to try Fusion soon after, unfortunately Fusion didn't work either, then I tried Oracle's solution, and that didn't work either.

I finally decided to post my findings here to see if vmware had a solution after I had a conversation with vmware's fusion tech support which was of no help.

I realize that this thread was started on the 28th of February, I do admit that it hasn't been a few months, but it has been at least 1.5 month's since and it has been more than a few months for me personally.

It's been very frustrating for me and yes, I guess my growing frustration is starting to show.

I recently spoke with Parallels again last week, they still DON'T have a solution and urged patience and suggested that I hang on for another 2 months!

I have patience, but waiting 5 months for a solution is pushing it, don't you think?

I can't believe that vmware or Parallels did not know of this incompatibility ahead of time as the 12-core was launched in late July 2010, so I think my frustration *IS* justified.

The least that either company could have done was warn people that their vms would not work on this model.

AW

-- Andrew
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Okay I reread the OP and now see where you said "I've been trying to get this working since mid December." however it was only brought to this forums attention one and a half months ago and there has not yet been another release of VMware Fusion since then or the last release on 12-02-2010 so it goes without saying there is not yet a fix available, nor does it mean there will be a fix in the next release either.

0 Kudos