VMware Communities
pyzon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware fusion 1.1 - vista 64-bit and 1GB of RAM

Just wondering if anybody had the combination of VMWARE fusion 1.1 - imac 2.4 Core2Duo and Vista Ultimate 64-bit - my concern is the imac has only 1GB of RAM.

I guess what I'm really asking is 1GB of RAM sufficient for VMWARE 1.1 and Vista? won't be using vista for any graphically intensive applications or 3d gaming.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

On a 1 GB system, I would be hesitant about giving more than about 512 MB to a guest. The official recommendation for Vista Ultimate is 1GB, and so you're instantly overcommitted. I think you should either get more RAM (I'd think going up to 2 GB would work), or use some other guest with lower requirements (which is just about all of them).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

On a 1 GB system, I would be hesitant about giving more than about 512 MB to a guest. The official recommendation for Vista Ultimate is 1GB, and so you're instantly overcommitted. I think you should either get more RAM (I'd think going up to 2 GB would work), or use some other guest with lower requirements (which is just about all of them).

0 Kudos
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

IMOH, you need to add more RAM - I wouldn't try that config with less than 1GB for Vista - and that much again left for OS X. I run Vista on my iMac with 2 GB, and 1 GB dedicated to the Vista VM - and it's not painful, but it isn't exactly speedy either.

InflatableMouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

It will work but that's not what your asking.

It sounds like you have a new imac running Leopard (correct?). IMO Leopard needs at least 512MB for itself to run smoothly. In your case that would leave 512MB for other programs.

If you don't mind diving into disabling (read: set to start manually) Vista services there is quite a few things you can do to minimize memory usage. Vista will run properly with 512MB in a VM not taking your apps into consideration. Actually, my 512MB Vista Ultimate x64 with tweaked services runs better than my 1GB Vista without the tweaks.

I would start saving some money for those few extra gigs though. Remember you don't need Apple to upgrade that imac's memory, as long as you buy the right type your good.

InflatableMouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cheat - when I posted getwired and I were first. Then I refresh and you come in on top. Grr ...

j/k Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I noticed that too (the timestamp on my response was about three minutes before I hit Post Message). When I composed the response, there were no replies, so order might depend on when you start the response, not when you finish.

0 Kudos
pyzon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the advice all I took the leap and just ordered another RAM stick of 1GB.

Yes it's a new imac 24" with leopard.

0 Kudos