VMware Communities
vmnew
Contributor
Contributor

vmtools installation issue

Ok, Installed OpenSuse 10.3 on a new vm. Trying to install vmtools and it is finding the c compiler but now says, "What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel?

That is not a valid directory. How can I find where these files are located? Or what are the files it is looking for and I can search for them?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

You're missing the required kernel sources from your installation. This SuSE KB article has an example of using the Software Management tools to install the required components. The page is for installing Workstation on SuSE but it's sufficient for the Tools too.

0 Kudos
vmnew
Contributor
Contributor

sorry for my ignorance but i did install thru software manager but it still gives the same response.. do i need to reboot? if i do, will it pick up where it left off or do i need to delete any old files or anything? if doesn't require a reboot, what else could i be missing? or where else could these files be hiding?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

You don't have to reboot to install kernel sources. I don't have my OpenSUSE VM handy, but I don't recall the sources being installed as rpms or tarballs that then require untarring. The default path is probably not right, most likely due to needing to be suffixed by the exact kernel version. Try running "uname -a" in Terminal, then cd starting at the default path and try to find the exact path with the kernel version number as the suffix.

0 Kudos
vmnew
Contributor
Contributor

What is example of a file name I am looking for? I did uname -a and found the directory it appeared to be referring to but when run that path, it says "does not contain a "linux" subdirectory as expected." I don't know a file name that I'm looking for so just taking shots in the dark.

0 Kudos
vmnew
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think it installed kernel sources after all. Trying to fix that now then will see if that solves it.

0 Kudos
vmnew
Contributor
Contributor

it did not install kernel source. Says that I need 328MB of disk space to do so. How can I expand my vm disk space?

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

These instructions are for Windows but gparted can handle ext partitions. It's worth trying, otherwise re-install OpenSUSE with more space...

edit: fixed wrong distro

0 Kudos
vmnew
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. I redid the vm, made it larger and reinstalled OpenSuse and vmtools loaded like a champ. Also have it working on Fedora 8 now.

0 Kudos