VMware Communities
jens42
Contributor
Contributor

vmrun tool doesn't work after the latest Mac-OS security update

Hallo,

it seems that the vmrun-utility no longer works properly after the latest Mac-OS security update (2015-004).

If I try to run a guest application (runProgramInGuest), I will only get an error message:  Error: Invalid user name or password for the guest OS

But the user credentials are valid and it worked properly before the update of Mac OS X.

I use VMWare Fusion 7.1.1, Mac-OS 10.9.5 as host os and mac-os 10.10.3 or 10.9.5 (with security update 2015-004) as guest os.

I urgently need a solution for this problem. Any ideas or workarounds to fix this problem would be very nice.

Many thanks in advance.

jens

Tags (1)
41 Replies
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi jens,

Welcome to Fusion forum,Smiley Happy

Could you please try if your don't pass the password through the command, say

vmrun  -gu guestUser  runProgramInGuest "c:\my VMs\myVM.vmx" "c:\Program Files\myProgram.exe"

and then enter your password via the prompt .

Hope this will help.

0 Kudos
KarlHiramoto
Contributor
Contributor

I  have the same issue on a system where both the guest and host are Mac OS 10.10.3

When I run:

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmrun -T fusion -gu user1  runScriptInGuest //Users/administrator/Documents/Virtual\ Machines.localized/OS\ X\ 10.10.vmwarevm/OS\ X\ 10.10.vmx -activeWindow -interactive /bin/bash date

Guest password:

Error: Invalid user name or password for the guest OS

In  /var/log  on the guest you see:

==> accountpolicy.log <==

Apr 20 04:33:39 (67.30) AuthenticationAllowed completed: record "user1", result: Success (0).

Apr 20 04:33:39 (67.31) AuthenticationAllowed completed: record "user1", result: Success (0).

==> system.log <==

Apr 20 04:33:39 user1s-Mac.local vmsvc[84]: [ warning] [vmsvc] Failed to initgroups() for user user1

Apr 20 04:33:39 user1s-Mac.local vmsvc[84]: [ warning] [vmsvc] Failed to set uid for root

0 Kudos
jens42
Contributor
Contributor

@nancyz: Thank you for your reply. But I tried it on this way already before - the same problem. Furthermore I have to use vmrun inside a script. Therefore such a solution would not really solve my problem.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It might not work and I cannot verify it here, but the error in the log would prompt me to try and run it with "sudo" :

eg:

sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmrun -T fusion -gu user1  runScriptInGuest //Users/administrator/Documents/Virtual\ Machines.localized/OS\ X\ 10.10.vmwarevm/OS\ X\ 10.10.vmx -activeWindow -interactive /bin/bash date

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
jens42
Contributor
Contributor

Hi wila,

Thank you for your reply, but sudo will also not solve the problem. I already tried it ...

0 Kudos
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

KarlHiramoto wrote:

I  have the same issue on a system where both the guest and host are Mac OS 10.10.3

When I run:

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmrun -T fusion -gu user1  runScriptInGuest //Users/administrator/Documents/Virtual\ Machines.localized/OS\ X\ 10.10.vmwarevm/OS\ X\ 10.10.vmx -activeWindow -interactive /bin/bash date

Guest password:

In  /var/log  on the guest you see:

==> accountpolicy.log <==

Apr 20 04:33:39 (67.30) AuthenticationAllowed completed: record "user1", result: Success (0).

Apr 20 04:33:39 (67.31) AuthenticationAllowed completed: record "user1", result: Success (0).

==> system.log <==

Apr 20 04:33:39 user1s-Mac.local vmsvc[84]: [ warning] [vmsvc] Failed to initgroups() for user user1

Apr 20 04:33:39 user1s-Mac.local vmsvc[84]: [ warning] [vmsvc] Failed to set uid for root

Thanks for your update, Karl.

Please try to wrap your password and pass it in your command and see if this could resolve your problem.

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmrun -T fusion -gu user1 -gp 'password'  runScriptInGuest /Users/administrator/Documents/Virtual\ Machines.localized/OS\ X\ 10.10.vmwarevm/OS\ X\ 10.10.vmx -activeWindow -interactive /bin/bash date

0 Kudos
KarlHiramoto
Contributor
Contributor

Passing the password on the command line does not solve the problem.

$ sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmrun -T fusion -gu user1 -gp 'user1'  runScriptInGuest //Users/administrator/Documents/Virtual\ Machines.localized/OS\ X\ 10.10\ 2-box2.vmwarevm/OS\ X\ 10.10\ 2-box2.vmx -activeWindow -interactive /bin/bash date

The error log remains the same.

0 Kudos
HPReg
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you guys try re-installing the VMware Tools inside the updated VM to see if that helps? It is possible that the update deleted the Tools' pam config.

We are investigating...

0 Kudos
jens42
Contributor
Contributor

I already tried that, doesn't help ...

0 Kudos
s_roell
Contributor
Contributor

Hi folks,

I guess I have the same problem like Jens42.

I had automated scripts using vmrun to maintainVMWare fusion test VMs, and since recent updates of Mac OS these scripts do fail.

I urgently need a solution because my vmrun scripts do not work anymore and I have to do it manually what is hardly feasable for me.

many thx in advance for hints and so on.

0 Kudos
J_ph
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue 10.10.3 Host  10.8.5 guest > black screen

Installed a new 10.8.5 host and it works fine. Started the original 10.8.5 guest OS and still a black screen. My installation is very easy and only need to run 1 app, so this is a workaround for me.

0 Kudos
KarlHiramoto
Contributor
Contributor

I verified 10.10.2 works fine.   It fails only with the latest 10.10.3

0 Kudos
s_roell
Contributor
Contributor

In my experience it fails with the latest security updates for Mac OS  X 10.8.5, 10.9.5 and 10.10.3.

10.10.2 did not get the latest security updates. Only systems that are "up to date" are affected.

But many thanks you confirm that it does fail on 10.10.3. :smileycool:

0 Kudos
J_ph
Contributor
Contributor

something happened and it's fixed?  I started the guest and it was a black screen. I'm having a problem mounting a DVD on the host computer so I turned off the CD/DVD on both guest OSs and then I accidentally double clicked the title bar of the guest OS, the screen resized and poof! ....the black screen went away and it's fixed.... honestly I don't have a clue what happened but it's back. I would say it has to do with the resize of the screen not the DVD issues.

0 Kudos
Ric_D
Contributor
Contributor

Any more updates on this? I've reinstalled VMware Tools, but vmrun is still not starting my Windows 7 virtual machine properly. In my situation, vmrun seems to start the Windows virtual machine because I can see the processes when I run top. The problem is that I can't VNC to the machine. When I try to run vmrun stop, I get a message that says the virtual machine is not running, even though I see the processes. I then kill the processes and start the virtual machine through the GUI and Windows starts with a message about not being shutdown properly.

0 Kudos
Ric_D
Contributor
Contributor

Update -- vmrun is working for me now. Previously, I was starting my Windows 7 virtual machine in headless mode with a script that called vmrun without the '-T' flag. When I added '-T fusion' to my start script, things started working again. This is the command from my start script:

"/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmrun" -T fusion start "/Users/username/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows 7 64.vmwarevm/Windows 7 64.vmx" nogui

0 Kudos
Kentzo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have the same error, but when I try to copy file with copyFileFromHostToGuest.

Host OS: 10.10.3

Guest OS: 10.8.5

0 Kudos
s_roell
Contributor
Contributor

I do watch this vmware fusion bug for a while, here in this forum.

I am kinda disappointed that vmware hasn't fix this bug yet.

it is a big problem for all who do things automated.

maybe it is time to switch to parallels or virtua box?

EmoryP
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same issue with all my VMs.  Tried the "-T fusion" switch but no luck.

Really just adding my voice to this issue.  Looks like VMWare Fusion is completely DOA at the moment and apparently has been for several weeks. Smiley Sad

We desperately need a fix for this for our automation environment, if we don't get one in the next few days we're going to have to take our money elsewhere.