VMware Communities
djsupreme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmrun quits after logout even when run as root

I'm trying to have a headless VM always running.  Right now I run the following command as root using launchd:

/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmrun -T fusion start vmname nogui

This does what I want and starts the VM in the background at boot.  The problem is that the VM quits whenever any user logs in and then out of the machine.  So even though the process is running as root, any random user logging out causes it to stop.  Is there something I can do about that?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

VMware does not officially support running a Virtual Machine in this manner under VMware Fusion.

0 Kudos
djsupreme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

that's ok, I'm interested in supported and unsupported solutions.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Since it not supported this is not a VMware issue per se and keeping a process alive in this situation is an OS X issue so you might what to look to more OS X centric forums looking how to keep a process alive under the circumstances.

0 Kudos
djsupreme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is your problem? If you don't know the answer just hold your tongue.  Now you've littered my post.  If you think this is an OSX issue from my description you don't understand launchd.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I could say then say the same thing!  What is your problem and since this topic has already been covered you're littering the forum too!  Have a read of a discussion I started some time ago, Running a VM Headless (no GUI) and Controlling Shutdown/Suspend with Mac OS X Reboot/Shutdown, and while it use to work then nonetheless things changed in later releases of OS X and this is an OS X issue not a VMware issue! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
djsupreme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is a pretty informative post and I would have appreciated that info.  I read through it and there is one thing incorrect, you can't use KeepAlive as True to keep the process running because vmrun is just a launcher, not the process the VM runs as.  The VM takes many processes to run.

But it doesn't help me, I already have my VM launching at boot.  As I said it runs as root.  Somehow when a user logs in and out the VM stops.  Sure sounds like its specific to the way Fusion works unless you know of any other processes running as root that behave in that way.

Even if it is an OSX issue....why exactly does that matter?  I don't follow.  This is a forum for VMware users who want to talk to each other.

0 Kudos
djsupreme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Come to think of it --  Don't you think that immediately replying to someone "VMware does not officially support running a Virtual Machine in this manner under VMware Fusion," and then pointing to a massive post you made on the exact same subject shows what a huge troll you are?

0 Kudos