VMware Communities
bmorgenthaler
Contributor
Contributor

vmrun not reporting running VMs on High Sierra /w Fusion 10.0.1

Running Fusion and macOS with the latest updates and vmrun is broken for me.  Before I could perform vmrun list and get a list of running VMs.  Now it outputs the following

~ $ vmrun list

Total running VMs: 0

Other vmrun commands work such as vmrun listHostNetworks:

~ $ vmrun listHostNetworks

Total host networks: 3

INDEX  NAME         TYPE         DHCP         SUBNET           MASK

0      vmnet0       bridged      false        empty            empty

1      vmnet1       hostOnly     true         172.16.91.0      255.255.255.0

8      vmnet8       nat          true         192.168.234.0    255.255.255.0

I can check the status of installed guest tools however I can't get my guest's IP address.  This is annoying.  Has anyone else experienced this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi bmorgenthaler ,

Could you check if your VM is running via Fusion UI?

I can check the status of installed guest tools however I can't get my guest's IP address.  This is annoying.  Has anyone else experienced this?

What's the output of  'vmrun checkToolsState /path/to/vmx'?

0 Kudos
bmorgenthaler
Contributor
Contributor

I can check through the GUI but that doesn't help with automation tools.

vmrun checkToolsState properly runs and returns "Installed" for those machines with the tools installed

0 Kudos
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi bmorgenthaler ,

vmrun checkToolsState properly runs and returns "Installed" for those machines with the tools installed

Did you start your VM using "vmrun stat '/path/to/vmx' nogui" when you get output saying 'installed' ?

0 Kudos
williamz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I guess it is because there is actually no VM running. vmrun list prints the VMX file absolute path of the any VMs that have been powered on -and- running.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Williamz,

Please reread TS his second sentence "Before I could perform vmrun list and get a list of running VMs" ... so yes he or she knows that already.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos