VMware Communities
SteveWood
Contributor
Contributor

vmrun fixed yet?

I've been trying to setup an automated testing framework using Fusion Pro 8.1.  Everything was going grand until I tried to use vmrun to copy files onto the guest, or basically anything that required a username/password.  I found a thread on here from last year where VMware admitted that an update to OS X broke vmrun, but seemed to be working on a fix.  There have been several releases of Fusion since then.  Is VMware just giving up on this functionality?  I'm sure I can workaround this with running a ssh server in the guest, but really loved the idea of a clean vmrun approach. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
xahare
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

have you tried vagrant? https://www.vagrantup.com/

thats what its made for.

the default backend is virtualbox. and the vmware plug-in is painful to use. it keeps interrupting and nagging you.

virtualbox is better for automation, unless your automating a hypervisor or need performance.

vmware is better long term VMs where performance is important.

kvm is also automation friendly and generally has better performance than virtualbox. sometimes i use that inside vmware.

0 Kudos
SteveWood
Contributor
Contributor

I started with virtualbox but found it very unstable running OS X, so I switched to Fusion.  If I can't get vmrun to work properly, I will switch to using vagrant shared directory to get my executable into the VM, and ssh to execute it. 

0 Kudos
SteveWood
Contributor
Contributor

I had high hopes that Fusion 8.5 would finally fix the vmrun issue for OS X guests, but it still fails with "Invalid user name or password..."

VMware, this bug has existed for a while and you were supposedly testing a fix last year.  Are you just going to punt on vmrun for Fusion?  I so much prefer Fusion to the other products out there and I've been patiently waiting for a fix.  Do me a solid and just tell me point blank to go look elsewhere if this is not going to be resolved. 

0 Kudos
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Steve,

Welcome to Fusion Community.

Actually I cannot reproduce your issue.

These type of issues are almost always due to specified value in user name or password.

for example:

use the command blow:

./vmrun -gu test -gp ab$cd copyFileFromHostToGuest /Volumes/Untitled/OS\ X\ 10.10.vmwarevm/OS\ X\ 10.10.vmx   ~/Desktop/Untitled.sql /tmp/1.sql

Error: Invalid user name or password for the guest OS

you have to use

./vmrun -gu test -gp ab\$cd copyFileFromHostToGuest /Volumes/Untitled/OS\ X\ 10.10.vmwarevm/OS\ X\ 10.10.vmx   ~/Desktop/Untitled.sql /tmp/1.sql

it can work fine now.

Hope this helps, if you still doesn't work,please let me know.

Thanks and Regards

0 Kudos
SteveWood
Contributor
Contributor

Darcyz,

Thank you for a reply.  Did you try to reproduce my issue with a fully patched up OS X guest?  I refer you to this post from last year:

vmrun tool doesn't work after the latest Mac-OS security update

The link jumps you into the replies where VMware admits that OS X broke your mechanism for doing things in the running guest and said a fix was being tested. 

This isn't an issue of my username and password because I'm using super simple ones w/o special characters nor any complications that would make them difficult to type accurately, e.g. username: test  password: labrat.

Steve

0 Kudos
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Steve

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Apple's security update in 10.10.4 has changed the behavior of one of the internal facilities we depend upon for the "runProgramInGuest" feature. (CopyFromHostToGuest,...)

We current disable this feature and return "permission deny" in the latest 8.5 VM Tools version.

We are working in this issue and it will be fixed soon.

If you have any problem ,please let me know

Regards

0 Kudos
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Steve,

The issue is fixed in the latest vmware-tools 10.1.0 build.

You can find it from

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VMTOOLS1010&productId=491

follow these steps:

Uninstall VMware Tools

Reboot guest OS

Install VMware Tools

Reboot guest OS.

If it still doesn't work , please let me know

Regards

0 Kudos