VMware Communities
xplicit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmnet-cli on mac: failed to initialize

I just installed Vmware Fusion 12 on Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7 and virtual machine can't be launched, because network couldn't be configured. When I try to run 

sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli -c

```

Configuring Bridged network vmnet0

Configuring hostonly network vmnet1, probing for unused subnet ...

Configuring NAT network vmnet8, probing for unused subnet ...

Failed to create DHCP configuration file for network vmnet1

Failed to create DHCP configuration file for network vmnet8

Failed to configure default network settings

Stopped all configured services on all networks

```
sudo /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmnet-cli --status

Failed to initialize.

I tried to reboot mac, reinstall vmware fusion, run `sudo spctl --master-disable` but this didn't help. What should I do to make vmware networking working on Mac?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
xplicit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was resolved this by manually loading vmmon and vmnet kernel extensions. I had to run these commands:

sudo kextload /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/kexts/vmmon.kext/

sudo kextload /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/kexts/vmnet.kext

After first trying of load these kernel extensions and getting an error about security policy I was able to see "Allow Vmware to load kernel extensions" in System Preferences/General. It was not there before I tried to load kext. I allowed this settings and after that I was able to load kernel extensions and now Vmware Fusion is running on my desktop. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@xplicit 

Moderator: Moved to Fusion Discussions, nothing to do with Skyline.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
xplicit
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was resolved this by manually loading vmmon and vmnet kernel extensions. I had to run these commands:

sudo kextload /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/kexts/vmmon.kext/

sudo kextload /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/kexts/vmnet.kext

After first trying of load these kernel extensions and getting an error about security policy I was able to see "Allow Vmware to load kernel extensions" in System Preferences/General. It was not there before I tried to load kext. I allowed this settings and after that I was able to load kernel extensions and now Vmware Fusion is running on my desktop. 

0 Kudos