VMware Communities
Ecoplacehunter
Contributor
Contributor

vmhgfs module not compilable for VMware Tools 9.9.0 (Fusion7.1) after Ubuntu Linux kernel update to 3.13.0-46-generic (Febr. 2015) (Shared Folder Feature not working in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Guest) on MacOSX Yosemite (Host))?

vmhgfs module not compilable for VMware Tools 9.9.0 (Fusion7.1) and VMware Tools 9.9.2 (Fusion7.1.1 Build 2496486) after Ubuntu Linux kernel update to 3.13.0-46-generic (Febr. 2015) (Shared Folder Feature of VMware Tools not working in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Guest) on MacOSX Yosemite (Host))? 

Hello Community and the VMware Developer Team,

On February, 13th 2015 we lost the Shared Folder Feature between Ubuntu and MacOSX. Probably, the update of the Linux kernel to 3.13.0-46-generic caused this problem (although the existing, compiled vmhgfs module of the VMware Tools in Ubuntu wouldn't be damaged by the Linux kernel update!). We use VMware Fusion 7.0.0 with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and MacOSX for one year without problems with older Linux kernels.

We updated to VMware Fusion 7.1.0 and Fusion7.1.1 Build 2496486 with VMware Tools 9.9.2 in the hope to fix the Shared Folder Feature problem that occured first in vers. 7.0.0.

We can suppose that there is an incompatibility between the compiled vmhgfs module and the new Linux kernel 3.13.0-46-generic.

We tried to reinstall VMware tools 9.9.0 and vers. 9.9.2 but the vmhgfs module couldn't be compiled and the Shared Folder Feature is not working. All other VMware tool features are working fine.

1. In Ubuntu 14.04 LTS the terminal command lsmod | grep "vm." lists no vmhgfs module

2. During vmhgfs module compilation there were several "errors" near "/vmhgfs-only/" and "make[]:"

Here is one of our terminal journals for you: 

"

include/linux/compiler-gcc4.h:14:34: error: ‘struct dentry’ has no member named ‘d_alias’

#define __compiler_offsetof(a,b) __builtin_offsetof(a,b)

^

include/linux/stddef.h:17:31: note: in expansion of macro ‘__compiler_offsetof’

#define offsetof(TYPE,MEMBER) __compiler_offsetof(TYPE,MEMBER)

^

include/linux/kernel.h:794:29: note: in expansion of macro ‘offsetof’

(type *)( (char *)__mptr - offsetof(type,member) );})

^

include/linux/list.h:687:40: note: in expansion of macro ‘container_of’

#define hlist_entry(ptr, type, member) container_of(ptr,type,member)

^

include/linux/list.h:698:15: note: in expansion of macro ‘hlist_entry’

____ptr ? hlist_entry(____ptr, type, member) : NULL; \

^

include/linux/list.h:710:13: note: in expansion of macro ‘hlist_entry_safe’

pos = hlist_entry_safe((pos)->member.next, typeof(*(pos)), member))

^

/tmp/modconfig-h4Zwi0/vmhgfs-only/inode.c:1920:7: note: in expansion of macro ‘hlist_for_each_entry’

hlist_for_each_entry(dentry,

^

make[2]: *** [/tmp/modconfig-h4Zwi0/vmhgfs-only/inode.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/modconfig-h4Zwi0/vmhgfs-only] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-46-generic'

make: *** [vmhgfs.ko] Error 2

make: Leaving directory `/tmp/modconfig-h4Zwi0/vmhgfs-only'

"

3. And /mnt/hgfs is empty but folder sharing is enabled for Mac's "Documents" directory for example. If we run vmware-hgfsclient in a terminal, we get the list of shared folders but /mnt/hgfs is empty. 

Could you fix the incompatibility between the vmhgfs module and the new Linux kernel 3.13.0-46-generic, please?

Best regards,

Toni

92 Replies
NivaR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ecoplacehunter wrote:

Hello Steve,

there is a new Linux kernel update to 3.13.0-47-generic. The Shared Folder Feature (vmhgfs) and the copy and paste feature don't work.

The previous post of a community member helps. I want to post it again because this solution is a good alternative:

Using previous installed Linux kernel 3.13.45-generic:

"While i'm waiting for a Vmware Fusion Pro 7 update, I can do this to use the shared folders:

Reboot your ubuntu and press shift while booting.

Then select "Advanced" and select the previous installed kernel (Linux kernel version 3.13.0-45-generic for example).

The shared folders will be accessible again.

04.03.2015 The vmhgfs module and the Shared Folder Feature is back with the Linux kernel 3.13.0-45-generic

A lot of success,

Toni

Thank you, very much for this.  I installed all the Software Updates recommended by my Ubuntu 14.04 installation, rebooted per these instructions, and the older kernel allows sharing folders.  I also have the benefit of the rest of the software updates.

0 Kudos
randomu
Contributor
Contributor

You rock Testerovich!  Thank you!  I was too lazy to unpack everything so I now have a vmhgfs.tar that contains two copies of inode.c, but since the last one wins who cares? :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
rayblack
Contributor
Contributor

My original post on this problem noted that Vmware did not seem to be taking this problem too seriously, from my perspective this remains true, but it is a major problem for me and I have decided that Workstation 11 will be my last purchase of any Vmware product. Having purchased Workstation from version 2 to version 11 the sheer neglect in not providing Linux users with a fix for this problem is the final straw. One presumes that when a program is obtained at no cost the expectation of bug fixing may not be as quick as one might like, but when a product is purchased for a specific purpose and an error such as this occurs, then the expectation is that the fault will be fixed promptly and passed onto customers. Vmware can email me frequently with requests to purchase this product, that product etc but they can't provide me with a fix for what, according to some of the posts in this thread, is a relatively simple problem. I will transfer all my Linux vm's to Virtual Box and I won't complain if a fix for any errors generated is slow to eventuate.

What a crock.

Ray

steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Ray,

Sorry you feel that way, but as I have repeatedly stated in this thread I have fixed ALL issues reported in this thread.

(And these issues are never ending as the Linux kernel is continuously changing and being released under many different distribution schedules.)

I have also mentioned that we are trying to get together a FUSE client which will remove this whole set of issues with kernel changes.

As for when they will be released that is not under my control. Also I am not allowed to state when that would be even if I knew any dates.

However, having said that, there is going to be an update for the Fusion 6 release soon. I have put all fixes to date into that release.

If the kernel changes again after this or even right on the release dates we will be out of luck again for a time.

Please watch out for the Fusion 6 update.

Fusion 7 will have an update too at some point, which I really hope is not too long down the road either. It will also have those updates for fixing the client in the Linux kernels mentioned in this thread.

To answer your question about taking these fixes seriously, yes some of us do - the developer working on this feature, me for one - but up the management chain of command there are differing priorities.

Those are the people that need to hear your complaints - I keep mentioning them to anyone who will listen.

Note, I don't think it has been mentioned here but anyone planning on updating their Linux VM with kernel updates should first take a snapshot of the VM state.

If after the kernel updates have been applied you find that there are issues, you will then have an option to revert your VM back to that snapshot state and continue as before.

If you are satisfied that no issues occur you can always delete the snapshot later and reclaim the disk space.

This is in addition to the Linux multi-version boot options.

I hope this helps address some of your concerns or at least gives you more insight into what is going on and you are not being ignored.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
IvarREW
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your reply. I hear you and honestly appreciate your efforts.  Despite your work on promptly fixing this issue the end result for customers is that we're left with a defective product.

Regardless of the intentions of the development team within an organization, the corporate structure behind a developer-focused proprietary product either has to be be nimble or open (ideally both) and unfortunately it is apparent that VMWare is neither. This isn't the first time the VMWare tools on Linux have deeply compromised my VMware product's utility for an extended period. Waiting for a point release is painful (I have to make considerable adjust to my workflow) and to have the unchanging culture of slow release/opaque release dates bite me yet again is intolerable. It is difficult to justify paying a premium price for a premium product when the practical support does not come close to meeting user expectations.  If VMWare Fusion wasn't pitched as a developer product this might be tolerable, but fact is that developers want to be able to update their Linux kernels without hosing their work environments. (And if we do hose our environments, a fix should be _accessible_)

Yes, the Fuse approach will make things better but that doesn't solve the short term problem. I've already paid for several cycles of upgrades (with honestly very little to differentiate versions) and I'm willing to bet that the VMWare Fusion Fuse fs driver will be attached to yet another upgrade fee.

Don't get me wrong - I know you're trying to support a moving target and we all understand that. I know it must be frustrating for you to complete important work only to have it sitting in a queue waiting for official QA approval, followed by approval to meet marketing's release dates. But it's at least as frustrating for us.

AdrianDay
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Steve,

As Ivar and others have said, no one is blaming you. It's good to know that someone at VMware was able to quickly identify and fix the problem. The real problem, all too clearly evident here, is that your organisation lacks customer focus. Whilst I'm sure that Fusion doesn't amount to a large percentage of revenue, it demonstrates that as long as people continue to shell out for new releases, the core behaviours and drivers do not need to change.

There's an old adage, "The Customer is King."

It's a shame it doesn't seem to have filtered through your organisation.

I've always considered minor point releases to be a good thing - especially those driven by external factors. It's shows that an organisation cares. This whole experience has left me with the distinct impression that VMware couldn't care less. Will I fork out for the next 'upgrade'? I doubt it. Will I recommend VMware to anyone? Big fat no there.

I was wondering whether or not to raise a ticket regarding the error in the help pages. It states that shared folders are supported on guest operation systems with a kernel version of 2.4 or later. Now that, at this moment in time, is not true, I'd go as far as to say a gross-misrepresentation of fact.

As I've said previously, I feel sorry for anyone who purchases VMware and then discovers it clearly doesn't do what it's advertised as being able to do. Would they be entitled to get their money back? Should existing users be entitled to a partial refund?

0 Kudos
DougDrew
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue with a new install of Ubuntu 15.04 (Guest) on Windows 7 Pro (Host). I am setting up samba as a work around. As you probably know 15.04 is scheduled for final release on 4/23. I'm glad I found this thread so I won't waste any more time trying to fix it myself. I know that this is posted in the Mac section ... I am new to this forum.

- Doug

0 Kudos
deviantintegral
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased VMWare Fusion to use with Vagrant, because I was looking for something with a little more reliability and polish than VirtualBox. I'm disappointed that this has been broken for over a month with no public update in sight. Between the slow response on this and the very confusing setup with open-vm-tools and the tools shipped with Fusion, I doubt I'll upgrade to the next Fusion release.

avnm
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately I'm experiencing the same issue.

0 Kudos
rayblack
Contributor
Contributor

Well I finally managed it, I have now transferred all my Linux vm's to Virtual Box, Workstation will now be used only for my Windows vm's, which in the long run saves me money as there will be no more upgrades of Workstation for me. I have the greatest respect and sympathy for Steve and know that this problem is out of your hands. Perhaps Vmware should consider not supporting Linux as one of their main platforms, the debacle over this problem alone requires some serious consideration on their part as to whether they should continue to claim support for Linux when they clearly do not. I presume that many more users like myself will see the futility of supporting a paid for product which leaves it's paying customers without technical support for such long periods of time.

Ray

AdrianDay
Contributor
Contributor

This thread has now clocked up over 9,100 views. By my reckoning, it's almost EIGHT WEEKS since this lack of functionality was reported and there is still no sign of a fix.

I'd like my money back.

0 Kudos
Ecoplacehunter
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Ray,

could you provide a documentation for transferring your Linux VM and installing (configuring) virtual box, please?

I would like to test your approach.

Thank you very much in advance,

Toni

DanDaLinuxMan
Contributor
Contributor

a big +1

ME too, please

0 Kudos
rayblack
Contributor
Contributor

Toni,

I didn't use a specific conversion process for my transfer to Virtual Box, mainly because the ovf conversion by Vmware Workstation was deemed to be incorrect by Virtual Box, fortunately for me I use a Win 7 machine as my host and most of my important files, including email, were maintained on Shared folders, I was thus able to install a fresh linux distro (Solydx as I am an Xfce user), tweak it the way I like by adding Cairo Dock, Zim, Clementine, Palemoon and then just attached my Shared Folders in VBox and I was off and running. I was checking out various other Linux distros which I just recreated from scratch. Sorry I could not be of more help but I can tell you that the Virtual Box performance, for me anyway, is as good as that of Workstation so I'm not sorry that I went that extra mile. I do believe that there is a method to use vmdk disks on VBox but I haven't tried it, but my Linux systems are now working great. I'll try to dig up the thread and try it on one of my other Vmware elephants.:smileylaugh:

Ray

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

A document for cnverting? Do not know of one for such.

Before you copy the .VMDK file(s) for VirtualBox, be sure to uninstall the VMWare Tools in the Guest OS first.

If you should decide to bring the .VMDK file(s) back to VMWare, be sure to uninstall the Guest Additions in the Guest OS first.

A gotcha is specifying the same Hard Drive controller for the Guest OS. Frequently a SCSI is specified when the Guest is expecting an  IDE and errors occur .

Best of Luck

0 Kudos
NivaR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here's how I got Ubuntu 14.10 onto VirtualBox from scratch today.  It took some time and searching but now it seems to work well.

It isn't a migration of an existing Fusion VM but may be of some interest nevertheless.

1) Get Virtualbox for OSX from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

2) Get the .iso for Ubuntu 14.10 from http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

3) Install/start Virtualbox via its installer

4) Select New and give the new guest a name.  Ensure Linux is selected then

5) Pick how much memory you want to allocate then

6) Click through or tailor the next three dialogs to set up a virtual hard drive.  I used the defaults

7) Highlight and start the new VM that appears in the main Vbox menu

😎 You will be prompted for the virtual optical disk file.  Point it to the .iso and click Start

If your installation is like mine, you'll get a rectangular screen full of junk.  This is how to get past it.

9) Press Command+Fn+F1 then Command+Fn+F7.  This should get you a window with install options.  I don't know what this does exactly but it was recommended as a fix to this problem on various forums

10) Select Install Ubuntu

11) Pick any options you want from the next dialog and continue

12) Installation Type:  I picked the defaults.  You can configure your partitions here if you have the savvy to know how to set up the root and share partitions

13) Select Install now and confirm when prompted

14) Confirm your location, language, and account information

15) The full installation will now begin and take some time to complete

16) When prompted, select reboot to finish the installation

When I did Step 16, the restart began but didn't complete automatically SO:

17) Select the VM in the Vbox Manager, right click, and reset (aka reboot) it manually

18) Login

Now, you'll have to install the Guest Additions package to get full screen, file sharing, etc.

19) From the VBox menu bar at the top of the screen, select Devices --> Insert Guest Additions CD Image and confirm with Run when prompted

20) After the installation completes, reboot the VM. The screen should now be larger with full screen options available

21) From the Vbox menu bar, select Devices --> Shared Clipboard and set as you like

22) From Vbox menu bar, select Devices --> Shared Folders.  Use the Add folder icon to set up the host folders you'd like to share

23) Online docs say that folders will be available on logout/login.  I found I had to reboot to make them visible

24) When you're back in, open up a terminal

25) Add your account  to the vboxsf group:  sudo adduser <your account> vboxsf.  Supposedly this should be automatic but was not in my case

26) Reboot

27) In a terminal, check your /media directory.  Your shared folder(s) should be there, prefixed with sf_

I think there are ways to make shared folders available immediately through the command line but I haven't tried them...

You may or may not notice that the VM is sluggish.  Mine was.  If you do:

28) Shut down the VM

29) From the Vbox Manager, select Settings

30) Play with Display Memory and acceleration settings to get the behavior you like.  I increased memory to 128MB and enabled both types of acceleration.  This improved performance and, so far, without problems

As always, your mileage may vary.

0 Kudos
PSi_101
Contributor
Contributor

+1

I stuffed around with this for an hour before stumbling across this post.

0 Kudos
GDrukier
Contributor
Contributor

I tried suggested solution of using an earlier kernal in Ubuntu 14.04 by rolling back to 3.13.0-44 and then 3.13.0-43, but the build of the vmhfgs module was silently failing for no apparent reason. I finally tracked things down in the vmware-config-tools.pl at the system call at the end of sub compile_module_linux at around line 5285. (I say around, because there's a bunch of debug code in there right now.) Anyway, the system call result was being tested with "!= 0", and failing. So 'no' was being returned. I inverted the logic and finally got the module installed.

0 Kudos
gregorbrandt
Contributor
Contributor

Please, please please make a release soon.  I have 5 VMs that have failed automated backups for over 2 months now.  Do you have any idea of the costs of a manual back-ups on a daily basis for 5 VMs?

Gregor

steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There are releases coming, and not too far away.

I have got into these releases all the changes to date that are reported here so far.

Sorry that I can't be any more exact and forthcoming with details but I am not allowed to do so.

Steve

Thanks. Steve