VMware Communities
Ecoplacehunter
Contributor
Contributor

vmhgfs module not compilable for VMware Tools 9.9.0 (Fusion7.1) after Ubuntu Linux kernel update to 3.13.0-46-generic (Febr. 2015) (Shared Folder Feature not working in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Guest) on MacOSX Yosemite (Host))?

vmhgfs module not compilable for VMware Tools 9.9.0 (Fusion7.1) and VMware Tools 9.9.2 (Fusion7.1.1 Build 2496486) after Ubuntu Linux kernel update to 3.13.0-46-generic (Febr. 2015) (Shared Folder Feature of VMware Tools not working in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Guest) on MacOSX Yosemite (Host))? 

Hello Community and the VMware Developer Team,

On February, 13th 2015 we lost the Shared Folder Feature between Ubuntu and MacOSX. Probably, the update of the Linux kernel to 3.13.0-46-generic caused this problem (although the existing, compiled vmhgfs module of the VMware Tools in Ubuntu wouldn't be damaged by the Linux kernel update!). We use VMware Fusion 7.0.0 with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and MacOSX for one year without problems with older Linux kernels.

We updated to VMware Fusion 7.1.0 and Fusion7.1.1 Build 2496486 with VMware Tools 9.9.2 in the hope to fix the Shared Folder Feature problem that occured first in vers. 7.0.0.

We can suppose that there is an incompatibility between the compiled vmhgfs module and the new Linux kernel 3.13.0-46-generic.

We tried to reinstall VMware tools 9.9.0 and vers. 9.9.2 but the vmhgfs module couldn't be compiled and the Shared Folder Feature is not working. All other VMware tool features are working fine.

1. In Ubuntu 14.04 LTS the terminal command lsmod | grep "vm." lists no vmhgfs module

2. During vmhgfs module compilation there were several "errors" near "/vmhgfs-only/" and "make[]:"

Here is one of our terminal journals for you: 

"

include/linux/compiler-gcc4.h:14:34: error: ‘struct dentry’ has no member named ‘d_alias’

#define __compiler_offsetof(a,b) __builtin_offsetof(a,b)

^

include/linux/stddef.h:17:31: note: in expansion of macro ‘__compiler_offsetof’

#define offsetof(TYPE,MEMBER) __compiler_offsetof(TYPE,MEMBER)

^

include/linux/kernel.h:794:29: note: in expansion of macro ‘offsetof’

(type *)( (char *)__mptr - offsetof(type,member) );})

^

include/linux/list.h:687:40: note: in expansion of macro ‘container_of’

#define hlist_entry(ptr, type, member) container_of(ptr,type,member)

^

include/linux/list.h:698:15: note: in expansion of macro ‘hlist_entry’

____ptr ? hlist_entry(____ptr, type, member) : NULL; \

^

include/linux/list.h:710:13: note: in expansion of macro ‘hlist_entry_safe’

pos = hlist_entry_safe((pos)->member.next, typeof(*(pos)), member))

^

/tmp/modconfig-h4Zwi0/vmhgfs-only/inode.c:1920:7: note: in expansion of macro ‘hlist_for_each_entry’

hlist_for_each_entry(dentry,

^

make[2]: *** [/tmp/modconfig-h4Zwi0/vmhgfs-only/inode.o] Error 1

make[1]: *** [_module_/tmp/modconfig-h4Zwi0/vmhgfs-only] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.13.0-46-generic'

make: *** [vmhgfs.ko] Error 2

make: Leaving directory `/tmp/modconfig-h4Zwi0/vmhgfs-only'

"

3. And /mnt/hgfs is empty but folder sharing is enabled for Mac's "Documents" directory for example. If we run vmware-hgfsclient in a terminal, we get the list of shared folders but /mnt/hgfs is empty. 

Could you fix the incompatibility between the vmhgfs module and the new Linux kernel 3.13.0-46-generic, please?

Best regards,

Toni

92 Replies
Craie
Contributor
Contributor

Steve,

I really just appreciate that we were included.  I understand that you don't make policy -- you just fix 'em.  *grin*

I'm not against upgrading, but as I'm still on Mavericks, I don't see the advantage.

Thanks!

Craie

0 Kudos
jtafla
Contributor
Contributor

I did some experimenting. I tried Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" with kernel version 3.13.0-37-generic. VMware Tools installed fully with no issues. I also tried Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS with kernel version 3.16.0-30-generic, with the same results. The house only crumbled when I upgraded to 3.16.0-31-generic. That must be the culprit. @steve no pressure, just adding context.

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks very much for the additional information here.

It will be useful as I will add it to the bug, and show that multiple versions will be fixed by my changes.

It should help raise the priority of the bug and thereby give it more urgency to make it public!!

Steve

Thanks. Steve
AdrianDay
Contributor
Contributor

This feature (shared folders), for me at least, is core-functionality. Implementing workarounds is a pain in the backside. I'm still trying to understand the root-cause of the problem. If it is indeed due to new kernel releases being introduced with little or no advance notice then, that's a real shame and something that, with effort, could be fixed. If it's not, well, that's an effective way to reduce your customer base.

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Adrian,

The issue here is that the Linux distributions have picked up a kernel change that was introduced in the 3.19 releases.

This particular change is to move a field of the struct dentry called d_alias into a union substructure within that struct dentry.

Unfortunately, as you may well be aware, Linux kernel changes don't contemplate backwards compatibility in any way. Windows kernel does and so we very rarely have these type of issues with our Windows kernel client.

This change was picked up and integrated into Fedora 21 and now Ubuntu 14.04 distributions and then obviously made available as updates that customers can download and install in those Linux platforms.

However, as I said, we have no forward notice of what updates and changes or pre-releases of those updates until they are already public. We see them at the same time as you do.

Obviously, then our released tools and versions of Linux shared folders client is then built with those updated kernel changes by customers such as yourself and in all honesty are really taking a gamble with it compiling and running it.

It might work or might fail, it might even build but not work correctly, it really depends on what changes have been made to the kernel. At this point you are running our shared folders client in an untested environment.

When we find and fix and test the changes you will be able to download the newer tools containing the tested and verified shared folders client. But this comes at some delay.

This delay could be reduced but it would be at a cost where VMware has continually dedicated testing and release just for this feature alone - not including all the other tools features and early access to distributions kernel releases. So far this has never been the case, multiple point releases of tools over the year but not necessarily timed with any regard for this feature in particular or with Linux distributions updates.

In the future, we will most likely mitigate these type of issues by running a FUSE based client instead. This makes our file sharing feature much more independent from random Linux kernel changes.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
AdrianDay
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Steve,

Thanks for taking the time out to reply.

There's an old adage, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I'd have saved myself a heap of self-inflicted frustration if I'd resisted the temptation to update. I guess it's a symptom of the society we live in. This experience has taught me a valuable lesson.

I hope the significance of this bug has been recognised. Imagine if you will a new user, they purchase VMWare Fusion, install a current Linux distro and then find it doesn't do what it's advertised as being able to do. Try telling them they're taking a gamble and they'll quickly be asking for a refund.

I like the idea of a FUSE based client - am I correct in thinking that this might have been done before (albeit perhaps to enable some other functionality)?

0 Kudos
Ecoplacehunter
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Steve,

there is a new Linux kernel update to 3.13.0-47-generic. The Shared Folder Feature (vmhgfs) and the copy and paste feature don't work.

The previous post of a community member helps. I want to post it again because this solution is a good alternative:

Using previous installed Linux kernel 3.13.45-generic:

"While i'm waiting for a Vmware Fusion Pro 7 update, I can do this to use the shared folders:

Reboot your ubuntu and press shift while booting.

Then select "Advanced" and select the previous installed kernel (Linux kernel version 3.13.0-45-generic for example).

The shared folders will be accessible again.

04.03.2015 The vmhgfs module and the Shared Folder Feature is back with the Linux kernel 3.13.0-45-generic

A lot of success,

Toni

PS: I'm wondering why this solution is not mentioned on the VMWare Fusion Pro support page when the Linux kernel incompatibility with the vmhgfs module occurred several years ago!! Through this omission I lost two days of work.

DanDaLinuxMan
Contributor
Contributor

I think it is the tools rather than the kernel.

I am using CentOS 6.6

VMware Tools 9.6.2 work and give me shared folders

VMware Tools 9.9.2 does not work

0 Kudos
ivarv
Contributor
Contributor

Steve - As far as I know, new versions of vmware tools are released as a package with vmware fusion updates. Is it possible to have a separate release stream for just the tools?

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes you are correct, the tools updates are a part of the Fusion (or Workstation in that product) updates.

It has been discussed many times that it would be good for some updates just to have a separate tools only update releases.

However, that has not been accepted and made available.

I think one of the reasons is that a lot of changes occur in all parts of the Fusion product as a whole and not enough bugs/issues are fixed by just tools changes alone.

Or are deemed urgent enough to make a point release just for a specific set of issues, but it can occur and can be done - security issues could for example warrant that for enough customers. Issues such as the one in this thread have to hit a large number of customers and be high profile enough for product managers to allocate time and resources away from other issues to go through the whole test and validation and release process. Everything has be to justified on its own merit and point releases are quite expensive. Hopefully, VMware can reduce this cost in the future to help facilitate more frequent and smaller releases. We are working on these type of process issues too.

I hope in the future, we gain the flexibility to do this but it seems more likely that we have to avoid these type of issues altogether by going to a FUSE client.

That would not solve all issues but will mitigate some like this one for sure.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
simononline
Contributor
Contributor

This is also an issue with the latest linux kernel on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Guest) with VMware Tools 9.9.2.

It seems like it might also affect some Debian VMs just going by this GitHub issue discussion:

Ubuntu 14.04.02 vmhgfs compile failure (VMwareTools-9.9.2-2496486) · Issue #29 · rasa/vmware-tools-p...

Surely this is a significant enough issue to justify a minor point release.

Clearly the updating frequency for VMware Tools is not responsive enough if someone has felt the need to create a VMware Tools Patches repo on GitHub.

steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for reporting the 12.04 build too.

That is also working in-house too.

I hope that it isn't too long before these changes make it into the field for you all.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos
RobbyTheTobby
Contributor
Contributor

I got the same Problem with my Debian Wheezy 7.8 with 3.2.0-4-686-pae

Thanks

RtT

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Confirmed that this is fixed in Debian 7.8 kernel 3.2.0-4 in house.

Now just waiting for the release side of things.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
billchengusc
Contributor
Contributor

Worked like a charm!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

0 Kudos
billchengusc
Contributor
Contributor

Worked for me as well!  Thanks!

0 Kudos
AdrianDay
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Steve,

Any news on the update rollout?

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I am trying to get the changes in to a release for Fusion 6 right now.

If that goes well, at least that should be going out with fixes for most of these Linux kernel updates.

I really am not allowed to say much or give any specifics.

There are no guarantees about any releases occurring or when as things can change. But I do hope that the above release does go out and soon.

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos
smides
Contributor
Contributor

I also am having no luck with copy/paste after the upgrade. This is seriously impacting my workflow. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Copy/Paste is a separate issue and uses different components from the file sharing discussed here.

However, when you say, using copy/paste are you talking about files or text?

From the host to the guest VM or vice-versa?

Just for clarity, how are you doing the copy/paste? Host Finder and VM desktop? Which VM OS and version is this?

Usually the more information and details often help to track down what exactly is going on to know if we missed something and makes it easier to diagnose what is happening.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos