VMware Communities
babysneaks
Contributor
Contributor

virtual machine of Windows XP suddenly will not open

Fusion community, please help! I have two virtual machines on my Fusion 5.0.1 on my Mac running OS X 10.8.2. I have never had a problem until yesterday when I found one of the VMs, the one running Windows XP, will no longer open. The other, running Windows 7, opens fine. The XP install has run fine for years, and ran fine on Fusion 5 until yesterday.

The large screen for the Windows XP VM opens for about a second, but quickly the entire program shuts down and Problem Report for VMware Fusion pops up. I pasted the error report in the attached rft file.

Is there a basic checklist of troubleshooting steps I can take? I would prefer not to simply reinstall XP on another VM cause there are programs and data in the current XP VM that I would hate to lose.

Thanks, Tim

PS: VMWare customer service is now assisting me. First suggestion is to uninstall and reinstall VMWare Fusion . . . and it did not work. Replied right away. That was five days ago. No word since then.

PSS: Did get back in touch eventually. Next step, had me send them the "Collect Support Informaiton" file, which I did. Awaiting word.

Message was edited by: babysneaks

Message was edited by: babysneaks

Message was edited by: babysneaks Resolution. VMWare support asked me to repair the virtual disk on 11/8. I followed the instructions but the instructions required pointing a Terminal command to a .vmdk file that was mentioned in the error message -- there was no reference to such a file. Second option was to try to start from an existing virtual disk. This too failed. Then I thought of something I should have thought of long ago. I grabbed a version of the Virtual Machine for XP via Time Machine from before the problem started. It had to update to Fusion 5 and then had to load a bunch of updates to XP. I lost some data, but the VM at least works again with all the programs I had in it. So this is resolved, but I sure wish I knew what happened.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
babysneaks
Contributor
Contributor

See final update

0 Kudos