VMware Communities
BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

virtual machine is stored is almost full yet Window C drive says 29GB free

Getting message vmware has paused this virtual machine because the disk which virtual machine is stored iss almost full. to continue, free up 962 MB of disk space.

My Mac has over 160GB free. Bootcamp has 40GB but shows only 1GB free. VMware virtual machine COPY has 5 GB and VMware virtual machine has 25GB. Yet when I go into VMware vitual machine the C drive says 40GB size and 11GB used with 29GB free. Where do I free up space??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just create an encrypted .zip file with a strong password and email the password to me via Private Message...

In a Terminal copy and paste the following command, as is, and then press Enter and type in the password and press Enter and repeat the password, etc. ad then attach the encrypted.zip and email the password via Private Message.

zip -0 -e /Users/${USER}/Desktop/encrypted.zip /Users/${USER}/Desktop/vm-*.tgz

After I retrieve the file you can delete it then if you want.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

do you use snapshots or that horrible AUTOPROTECT missfeature ?

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just did Shringing VD but to no avail. L now see that the Botcamp disk size is 31.88 not 40 GB eventhough WINDOW DISK SIZE SHOWS 40GB.

Researching to see if I can change Bootcamp disl size without losing data on Window disk that is already 40GB.

0 Kudos
BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Autoprotect is turned off and no snapshots available.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Thread moved to Fusion forum.

What version of Fusion? What version of OSX on the host? Any additional details on the virtual machine would be helpful, too.

0 Kudos
BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Went back and reread the instruction and 32GB is largest I can have there. Must do two things One is to delete copy of VM Window on the bootcamp that is 5GB but I get a error message of code1407.

The other is find out why Window shows C drive as only 11GB but Bootcamp shows it 25GB.

Any ideas???

HELP

0 Kudos
BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion is version 2.0.4 and OSX is 10.5.8, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB memory. Setup Bootcamp then loaded Fusion so I can bootup on Mac and thn go back and forth to Window and Mac without rebooting.

Have to run Quick books and couple otther small programs in Windows because Mac version GB is BAD and on Wifes Mac she uses Quicken.

Has been working for close to 2 years until space ran out. Have moved all backup copies of QB off Window side to gain space.

Reting to get ride of copy Window XP Pro vmwarevm to free up 5GB but get error message code 1047

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

To help figure out what is what the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .tgz file it created on your Desktop.

0 Kudos
BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for you help. Prior to sending the attachment, what is it? Not sure how much info on my machine I am passing on.

Looks like my main problem near turm is to be able to deleate the copy file in bootcamp tp make more space as I work on the other problem. This will free up 5 GB now.

I get error code 1407 when I try to drag and deleate file: Windoy XP PRO COPY.VMWAREVM

Thanks

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can extract the contents of the .tgz to see what's in it and if you don't want to send it that's fine however sometimes it's just easier to look at the technical facts to analyze the situation then having to ask a bunch of questions or depend on the user to properly relay enough information to diagnose the situation or even state the real issue in a coherent manner. Not trying to to get personal and don't take what I said the wrong way however I've suggested what I did because of conflicting information in your OP as well as the additional information you've presented.

Anyway the original error message you wrote "vmware has paused this virtual machine because the disk which virtual machine is stored iss almost full. to continue, free up 962 MB of disk space." refers to the actual physical disk that the Virtual Machine is stored on the contents of the virtual hard drive and if you actually have as much free space on the physical volume the Virtual Machine is stored then something else is wrong and the .tgz provides enough technical information to get a clear picture of the situation almost as though I was sitting in front of the computer which makes analyzing and diagnosing the real situation much easier.

0 Kudos
BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can you provide me a private email address to send the attachment. Not comfortable to hang it out for all to see.

Also looks like my first problem is o be able to delete the copy of Windw on the bootcamp the comtains 5 GBs

Thanks

Bill

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Just create an encrypted .zip file with a strong password and email the password to me via Private Message...

In a Terminal copy and paste the following command, as is, and then press Enter and type in the password and press Enter and repeat the password, etc. ad then attach the encrypted.zip and email the password via Private Message.

zip -0 -e /Users/${USER}/Desktop/encrypted.zip /Users/${USER}/Desktop/vm-*.tgz

After I retrieve the file you can delete it then if you want.

0 Kudos
BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Per your request and password will be sent by private message

Thanks

Bill

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Okay I now see why there appears to be conflicting information.

You at some point used Boot Camp Assistant to create a Boot Camp partition named BOOTCAMP and you see this volume on your Desktop.

Now normally one would install Windows into the partition and be able to run it natively and or as a Raw Disk Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine and while you may have done that in the past (or intended to do it) nonetheless at the present time it looks as though your just using the volume to store two normal Fusion default file based Windows XP Professional Virtual Machines an one is a copy of the other.

This volume only has 578.9 MB according to the System Profiler information include in the .tgz file and this why you're getting the "VMware Fusion has paused this virtual machine because the disk on which the virtual machine is stored is almost full. To continue, free up at least 962 MB of disk space." error message.

You have plenty of space on the Macintosh HD volume to move one of the Windows XP Professional Virtual Machines from the BOOTCAMP volume thus freeing up space needed to run the other one from that volume.

Just make sure that VMware Fusion is closed when you move the Virtual Machine and it best if the Virtual Machine was shutdown, not suspended, however at a minimum close Fusion.

BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Understand. I had created a Virtual Machine from the Boot Camp partition because I could use Windows and the Mac without rebooting, switch between them and share files.

Somehow when I had Mac tech helping with another problem when Fusion and Mac files became damaged I lended up with two copies of Windows within Bootcamp. The main one is 25GB that has my main window probgrams. The other, 5 GB is just copy of Windows and is not needed.

Two questions.

How do I uninstall the 5 GB copy of Windows without damaging the other working copy and data files. It is called:Windows XP Pro COPY.vmwarevm.

After I remove unwanted copy is ther any reason why the remaining copy is 25 GB. Windows and data files are only 11 GB and I assum Fusion and BOOTCAMP is only around 3 or 4 GB

Thanks

Bill PTC

0 Kudos
BillPTC
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not sure if you wanted reply by email or thru forum therefore I did both

Thanks

Understand. I had created a Virtual Machine from the Boot Camp partition because I could use Windows and the Mac without rebooting, switch between them and share files.

Somehow when I had Mac tech helping with another problem when Fusion and Mac files became damaged I lended up with two copies of Windows within Bootcamp. The main one is 25GB that has my main window probgrams. The other, 5 GB is just copy of Windows and is not needed.

Two questions.

How do I uninstall the 5 GB copy of Windows without damaging the other working copy and data files. It is called:Windows XP Pro COPY.vmwarevm.

After I remove unwanted copy is ther any reason why the remaining copy is 25 GB. Windows and data files are only 11 GB and I assum Fusion and BOOTCAMP is only around 3 or 4 GB

Thanks

Bill PTC

0 Kudos