VMware Communities
admin
Immortal
Immortal

vdiskmanager GUI

For users who don't want to mess with the command line, I wrote a quick-n-dirty GUI wrapper for vmware-vdiskmanager in the spirit of RDPetruska's VMware DiskManager GUI.

This program allows you to create a new virtual disk, expand an existing virtual disk, or defragment an existing virtual disk.

0 Kudos
94 Replies
John_Christoph1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.I tried to delete the tmp file you suggested. Even after following tips to have Finder show all files, the tmp file only shows up in vDiskmanager.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks.I tried to delete the tmp file you suggested. Even after following tips to have Finder show all files, the tmp file only shows up in vDiskmanager.

VMware Fusion menu bar > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Using the VMware Fusion Interface > Working with Virtual Machine Packages

0 Kudos
John_Christoph1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. This worked. I was able to change the disk size but at the very end Vista starting hanging and not rebooting. I checked and double checked all the settings and decide to uinstall everything. Create a bootcamp partion and and then reinstall Fusion. I wish vmWare would integrate this into the software--seems like a critical function.

thanks for all your help--I sure appreciate it.

John

0 Kudos
sstein111
Contributor
Contributor

i tried this and got this error.

Using log file /var/folders/aj/ajx0xM6FEsC9ddVrTEc6q++++TI/-Tmp-//vmware-chip/vdiskmanager.log

Failed to expand the disk '/Applications/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm/Windows XP Professional.vmdk': The file already exists (41).

I have 20GB allocated and tried to expand to 40GB.

What do i do?

please email to chipstein@albany.twcbc.com

Thanks.

0 Kudos
mahenlux
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks very much for this tool.

Successfully increased the HD max size from 20GB to 30GB. However, when running Windows XP professional defrag utility it shows C: drive capacity as 19.99GB.

How do I make Windows recognise the additional capacity?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Successfully increased the HD max size from 20GB to 30GB. However, when running Windows XP professional defrag utility it shows C: drive capacity as 19.99GB. How do I make Windows recognise the additional capacity?

You can use GParted LiveCD http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/ to nondestructively expand the OS Partition/Volume however I still would make a backup copy of the target Virtual Machine before performing this type of operation.

0 Kudos
mahenlux
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. Lengthy process, but worked !

Your advice is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
rkuzel
Contributor
Contributor

etung, Nice work on the vDiskManager GUI. It worked great on expanding my virtual disk, but when I startup the Guest (WinXP Pro), it still shows only having 10GB (old max) and not the new max of 17GB? The VMware Fusion settings shows that the new max is 17GB.

What did I miss?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

It worked great on expanding my virtual disk, but when I startup the Guest (WinXP Pro), it still shows only having 10GB (old max) and not the new max of 17GB? The VMware Fusion settings shows that the new max is 17GB.

vDiskManager GUI only expands the virtual disk not the partitions...

You can use GParted LiveCD http://gparted-livecd.tuxfamily.org/ to nondestructively expand the OS Partition/Volume however I still would make a backup copy of the target Virtual Machine before performing this type of operation

0 Kudos
rkuzel
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks WoodZ for the pointer to Gparted, but this doesn't look like something I can run on a MAC OS? I'm running an XP guest from a MAC 10.4 OS with Fusion. I downloaded the 3.4-11 ISO file.

0 Kudos
polarpop
Contributor
Contributor

those that are having issues, may want to look at this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/140676

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Thanks WoodZ for the pointer to Gparted, but this doesn't look like something I can run on a MAC OS? I'm running an XP guest from a MAC 10.4 OS with Fusion. I downloaded the 3.4-11 ISO file.

You attach the ISO to the Virtual Machine CD/DVD and boot it.

Have a look at: VMware Fusion menu bar > Help > VMware Fusion Help > Managing Virtual Machines > Configuring the CD/DVD Drive

0 Kudos
rkuzel
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks WoodZ, everything worked perfectly! Also would like pass on a link I found that walks you through the entire process: http://onlytalkingsense.wordpress.com/2007/12/27/vmware-fusion-expanding-a-disk-2/

0 Kudos
Avrak
Contributor
Contributor

Hello etung I have tried the GUI to resize the hard disk from 10GB to 17GB, I have deleted the snapshot. When the GUI asked me to "choose", there seemed to be a lot to choose from....here they are:

Windows XP Professional-000001.vmdk

Windows XP Professional-IDE_0-0.vmdk

Windows XP Professional-SCSI_0-1.vmdk

Windows XP Professional.vmdk

I tried to expand the Windows XP Professional.vmdk file and got to 76% done before it failed, spouting and "inpu/output error (327689), I have also been unable to make a copy of the Windows VMware file...that fails as well. Any ideas???

0 Kudos
KBoger
Contributor
Contributor

I have installed your program and tried to run but got the following error message:

Using log file /var/folders/o8/o84bsxPXHmWoqJAbmrW1Yk+++TI/-Tmp-//vmware-Keith/vdiskmanager.log

Failed to expand the disk '/Users/Keith/Documents/Virtual Machines.localized/Windows Vista.vmwarevm/Windows Vista.vmdk': The file already exists (41).

Did I do something wrong? Please advise. Thanks, KB

0 Kudos
mmcleggon
Contributor
Contributor

This is a great utility, however it doesn't seem to work for SCSI disks. Also, all of the discussions here have been about this utility and WinXP/Vista virtual machines, but nothing about Windows 2003 Server virtual machines.

The vdiskmanager GUI tool does seem to expand my existing vmdk, but when I reboot into the gparted-livecd app, it doesn't recognize the expanded disk size. Is there something I missed here?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is a great utility, however it doesn't seem to work for SCSI disks. Also, all of the discussions here have been about this utility and WinXP/Vista virtual machines, but nothing about Windows 2003 Server virtual machines.

It should work, there's nothing special about SCSI disks or the guest operating system.

The vdiskmanager GUI tool does seem to expand my existing vmdk, but when I reboot into the gparted-livecd app, it doesn't recognize the expanded disk size. Is there something I missed here?

Nope, it should work. Without knowing exactly what you're doing or seeing, I can't say Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
mmcleggon
Contributor
Contributor

It did work. The virtual disk I was trying to expand apparently had problems, and when I rebooted into the Win2K3 Server image, it told me that I had to run chkdsk/f on the drive. I did that, reboot back into the utility and voila! It worked fine.

This utility has really helped save me time getting ready for a customer demo! VMWare should REALLY seriously consider including it in the next release of Fusion.

0 Kudos
blah_deblah
Contributor
Contributor

Just to reply to the error (41) where the 'The file already exist' (two people in here had questions about, and one rudely asked for a private email response) - defrag the vmdk you're trying to resize and it might work. It did for me.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Much of this functionality is now in the Settings pane for 2.0b2. I don't intend to do any further work on vdiskmanager GUI.

0 Kudos