VMware Communities
hollistonma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

using disc utilities on a MacBook Pro and Windows XP running under Fusion

My wife's MacBook Pro recently crashed (luckily was only the OS so we didn't lose any data) while backing up to Time Capsule. That event has prompted me to explore getting a disc utility like Techtool Pro for her Mac as well as my MacBook Pro. However I run Windows XP SP3 on my machine under a virtual machine using Fusion (1.1.3 build 94249). I currently have Norton Anti-virus for Mac and Norton Internet Security for the XP OS (even though I only use it for Quicken). I am running 10.5.4 on my machine.

My question: can I safely use Techtool Pro to deal with any disc issues if I'm also running XP under the Fusion virtual machine? Will it corrupt the c:\ drive under XP? Would I also need a Windows-based utility to repair any problems with the c:\ drive under XP or will those be taken care of using Techtool Pro? My gut tells me that I need both because only the Windows based utility can optimize the c: drive under XP as well as fix any disc errors on the c:\ drive.

Any help on this topic would be appreciated. My search of this forum did not turn up answers to these questions. Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
admin
Immortal
Immortal

TechTool Pro shouldn't damage or fix the contents of a virtual disk since it's just a file (or set of files), just as TTP wouldn't finish a book or remove every paragraph ending in "-ing" in a text document. You would still need a Windows-specific program to deal with any problems on the virtual disk.

0 Kudos