VMware Communities
bpatters7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

using VMWare Fusion - what is the IP Address of my local Mac?

I'm developing using a MacBook Pro and want to test my web application with IE 7. I just cant figure out how to bring up the web page hosted on a web server running on my Mac?

Is there a version of 'localhost' that works for the machine running the VMWare Fusion virtual machine?

And what network mode should I be in?

thanks!!

Brendan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Start > Run > type "cmd" hit enter > "ipconfig /all" - there at the line "IP address", its address of your VM, just substitute the last number with 1 (i.e. 172.33.26.129 becomes 172.33.26.1) and you have the address of Mac. You can put it into the hosts file in Windows to be able to reference it by name and not by the address every time: go to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file, and add the line "172.33.26.1 host" somewhere there - customize the IP and the name of course to your needs - then in IE you just type "host" (or whatever name you put into the hosts file) into the address bar and hit enter.

You should be able to connect to Mac in any mode.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Start > Run > type "cmd" hit enter > "ipconfig /all" - there at the line "IP address", its address of your VM, just substitute the last number with 1 (i.e. 172.33.26.129 becomes 172.33.26.1) and you have the address of Mac. You can put it into the hosts file in Windows to be able to reference it by name and not by the address every time: go to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file, and add the line "172.33.26.1 host" somewhere there - customize the IP and the name of course to your needs - then in IE you just type "host" (or whatever name you put into the hosts file) into the address bar and hit enter.

You should be able to connect to Mac in any mode.

0 Kudos
bpatters7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

YES! That worked. Thanks very much!

I marked your answer as correct.

How did you know that? I searched the forums and read as much networking documentation as I could in an hour.

Thanks!

Brendan

0 Kudos
borisdusek
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Ouch, the IP address is that way only when you are not in bridged networking. For bridged, just use the same address you would use from a neighbour's PC (you can also deduce it from Network system preferences, there must be a tab named TCP/IP somewhere for the connection you are using).

How did you know that? I searched the forums and read as much networking documentation as I could in an hour.

It's the same with internet router that does NAT: its address you can access it is usually the same as of the machine you are sitting at with last number replaced with 1. And in NAT network mode of a virtual machine, your Mac is basically the router.