VMware Communities
mcjohn117
Contributor
Contributor

upgraded fusion to latest release. now VM throws up errors when starting up

Hi all,

hoping someone here can help me with this issue. I updated fusion to the latest release and since then now when i boot up my VM i get a cannot connects to network error (it shares my documents and such) and my desktop is blank as is my taskbar. dragging something to the taskbar fixes that portion but sometimes i have to reboot a few times for the desktop to show up. usually it'll just have a folder on it that says VMware shared folders. as far as i can tell it's linked to an issue with VMware tools but every time i try to reinstall it says "can't install physical hard drive helper" so i think that could be causing the issues. sometimes it crashes and says "can't find a peer process to connect to" and won't boot. I was told that it could be because i was running an older version of macOS (yosimite) so i updated today to sierra and hasn't changed. any help would be appreciated. thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It's not clear from your post if you upgraded from an earlier version of Fusion (e.g., Fusion 6 to Fusion 😎 or if you updated from an earlier version of Fusion 8 to the current version (8.5.6). It's also not clear what the state of your VM was during the upgrade or update (running, suspended, paused or shut down).

I can say that Fusion 8 through 8.5.6 works properly on Yosemite as I'm using that combination now. Have you tried uninstalling before reinstalling Tools?

Things like the Task Bar should work even without Tools installed which suggests something else is wrong with the VM. Do you have a backup of the VM which you can test to see if it behaves the same problematic way?

0 Kudos
mcjohn117
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response.

I was on 8+ (I always keep updating when it prompts me) and updated to the 8.5.6. My machine was turned off and not open when I did the upgrade. I don't have a backup sadly. I have tried uninstalling VMware tools and reinstalling but I always get the error that the "physical disk helper" failed to install.

0 Kudos