VMware Communities
colin1
Contributor
Contributor

upgrade

HI guys looking to upgrade my fusion but i can't tell if i have player or pro any ideas would be appreciated 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

"About VMware Fusion" in the VMware Fusion application menu will show you which licence is active. For Fusion 11.5.7, I have a professional licence and mine says "Professional Version 11.5.7" (followed by a build number in parentheses). I don't know offhand what it says there with the standard VMware Fusion licence, but I expect it just omits the word "Professional" and would say "Version 11.5.7" (followed by the build number).

You can also see which licence you have by logging in to your account on the VMware customer portal my.vmware.com, clicking on Manage Licences and in your list of products it will say either "Fusion 11" or "Fusion 11 Pro" to identify your licence type.

"Player" is a new concept for Fusion 12, so you won't see the word "Player" in the licence information for Fusion 11.5.7 or earlier. You can upgrade from the standard edition of Fusion 11 to Fusion 12 Player (or you can choose to upgrade to Pro); if you have Fusion 11 Pro the only upgrade option will be Fusion 12 Pro. Note also that VMware Fusion 12 Player has a free licence option for personal use.

colin1
Contributor
Contributor

thank you dempson, 

This is all I can see so I think its fair to say that i haven't got a pro version, so it  would naturally just upgrade to the player version. As i only use it for windows and ofiice and the odd programs i wouldn't benefit for t the pro version. Would you agree or have i got it completely wrong😂 

vm.png

0 Kudos
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Agreed, you don't have the Pro version. The extra features in Pro are probably of limited use to you. I haven't used them much myself but went to Pro a few versions ago because of its extra control over networking between multiple virtual machines, which I thought would be useful in some of the software I develop.

Given that you have version 10, there is one difference with Pro that might be important: if you want to run Fusion on macOS High Sierra (10.13) or macOS Mojave (10.14) and your Fusion 10 isn't working well enough, then you need Fusion 11 (or Fusion 11.5, which was a free update on the same licence). Fusion 11 isn't available any more, but you could upgrade to Fusion 12 Pro then downgrade the licence to Fusion 11 Pro.

Downgrading the licence is not an option for Fusion 12 Player.

If you want to run Fusion on macOS Catalina (10.15) or macOS Big Sur (11) on an Intel Mac then downgrading won't be an issue, so Fusion 12 Player will suffice.

Note also that Fusion 12 will not work on recent and future Macs with an Apple Silicon processor (current M1 models, or future variants). In future, there will be a version of Fusion which runs on Apple Silicon, but it will only be able to virtualise ARM-based operating systems, not x86-based operating systems (e.g. the Windows you are familiar with). VMware has a blog post which goes into more detail.

If you need to be able to virtualise x86 operating systems on a Mac, you need a Mac with an Intel processor.

colin1
Contributor
Contributor

thanks, interesting how parralels is ok with m1 think.

So just updated to player all good other than windows updates lol  and my mouse isn't visible and non responsive the moment i click on my password as i enter windows . any ideas sorry for being a pain 😉 

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@colin1 wrote:

thanks, interesting how parralels is ok with m1 think.

Parallels is sort of OK with M1 chips but note that it will not run any X86 VMs such as Windows 7 or Windows 10 x86_64. It will not run your existing VMs. It only runs VMs whose operating systems are ARM architecture. That means a Linux distribution that supports ARM or the “preview” version (aka beta version) of Windows 10 for ARM (which Microsoft has given no indication whether they will license to other than OEMs). 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
colin1
Contributor
Contributor

ok thank,

you bit of an amateur with all this 😂

0 Kudos