VMware Communities
VirtualMachinea
Contributor
Contributor

upgrade vmware tools for Linux guest on Fusion 4 without optical drive

I can't upgrade my tools package on my 2011 mac mini because it lacks an optical drive.  It looks like there is a way to manually install the tools even without an optical drive by choosing the vmware tools iso, but I don't know where that iso is located.  Can anyone help me with this?

Mac user with Linux tendencies
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

No reason for an optical drive... the VM sees a virtual drive.

Just use the menu to "Install VMware Tools".  This will mount the ISO image (located in the Fusion folder) to the guest's CD-ROM drive.  Inside the guest, run the Tools setup from the mounted disc.

0 Kudos
VirtualMachinea
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunately, this is not the case.  When I select "upgrade VMware Tools" (the choice given in the menu), I get the error message, "Could not find component on update server".

However, you indicated that the iso is located inside the Fusion folder.  Could you be more specific; if I could find that iso I am sure I can mount it.

0 Kudos
clsbn
Contributor
Contributor

I have same problem and same error. I think the vmware tools' linux aren't included. The windows one are located in the fusion application package under Content/Library/isoimages.

I have no solution...

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

You need the full Fusion 4 package, available from:

http://downloads.vmware.com/d/info/desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_fusion/4_0

(the light one available from the trial download page doesn't include the Linux Tools; and probably the update servers aren't ready, yet).

In Fusion 4, the Linux Tools (whether built-in or downloaded afterwards) now should be here:

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/isoimages/linux.iso

... i.e., inside the main application bundle (accessible from the Finder by right-clicking the VMware Fusion application and then selecting the Show Package Contents context menu).

VirtualMachinea
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, Sven; it wasn't on the light version.  I downloaded the full version and all is well!

0 Kudos
appideas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Great solution Sven.  Thanks!

I would like to add that you don't have to install the full version to get the tools update.  Download it, mount the DMG, then right click the VMWare icon and select Show Package Contents.  Browse to Contents --> Library --> isoimages and drag the linux.iso file to somewhere it can be mounted from your VM.

I didn't download the full version because the description of that one only indicates that I would be gaining a subscription to McAfee virus scan, which is not useful to me.

Thanks again.

VirtualMachinea
Contributor
Contributor

Drat; I wish I had seen your post before I installed.  Now how can I get rid of the Macafee subscription?

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Don't worry: you won't certainly be subscribed automatically!

Anyway, the antivirus is in /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/isoimages/antivirus.iso (and there's also an /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/isoimages/antivirus-windows.plist file): but no harm is done by leaving it there.

If Fusion should ask you if you want to install it, just say no: no problem...

0 Kudos