VMware Communities
realcontrol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

upgrade to vista home premium from win 2000 professional

I am having trouble upgrading to Vista from 2000 Professional.

I get two error messages. The first says I need XP service pack 2 (running 2000 professional). When I click 'next,' I get the second telling me I need the VM SCSI drive. It is already installed and running fine.

I've tried about 10 times. Same result.

What can I do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You do not need the previous OS installed to install Vista from the Upgrade DVD and directions are on the Internet on how to do it.

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
getwired
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'm pretty sure that Windows 2000 to Vista isn't a supported upgrade path (that is a Microsoft question, not a VMware question). The message sounds relatively clear to me - you need to either upgrade to XPSP2 and THEN upgrade to Vista, or clean install and go to Vista. Given that it is a VM, I would probably just create a new VM, install Vista into it, and use the migration tools for Vista to pull your information over from 2000.

0 Kudos
realcontrol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I bought the upgrade. It say on the box that it's for users running 2000 professional and XP.

I am going from 2000 because that is the only one I have the installation disk from. My XP came from a Parallels conversion and that came from Virtual PC. My XP came via Virtual PC.

My 2000 pro install was done at least twice today, with all the upgrades. Nothing at all I can to migrate.

I also tried to upgrade my VM XP. It came up with an error message that my machine wouldn't support it. Something about the API - I forgot just what. It referred me to the machine's manufacturer.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You do not need the previous OS installed to install Vista from the Upgrade DVD and directions are on the Internet on how to do it.

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/070201

0 Kudos
realcontrol
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I bought the upgrade. It say on the box that it's for users running

2000 professional and XP.

I am going from 2000 because that is the only one I have the

installation disk from. My XP came from a Parallels conversion and

that came from Virtual PC. My XP came via Virtual PC.

My 2000 pro install was done at least twice today, with all the

upgrades. Nothing at all I can to migrate.

I also tried to upgrade my VM XP. It came up with an error message

that my machine wouldn't support it. Something about the API - I

forgot just what. It referred me to the machine's manufacturer.

0 Kudos