VMware Communities
jgw7
Contributor
Contributor

upgrade to W7 and vmware fusion 3.0 - can no longer access \\vmware-host

I was running OS 10.6.1, Vista and Fusion 2.0.6, and had
vmware-host\z: as a mapped network drive visible (which was the same location as the 'vmware shared folder' icon provided by Fusion on my windows desktop)

after upgrading to Fusion 3.0 and W7, the 'vmware shared folder' desktop icon still works fine...BUT the mapped drive is no longer accessible ("vmware-host is not accessible") ... this is causing major issues, since many of my windows apps were set up to use the shared Documents folder (quicken, turbotax, etc).

I tried the suggestion to uninstall/re-install vmware tools, but I get an error message during the uninstall that the vmware-host drive is no longer available!! ("error 1606: could not access network location
vmaware-host\shared folders\documents")

I tried a fresh install of Fusion 3.0, followed by a fresh install of Vista (everything was working fine to this point), and then installed the upgrade to W7, and the same problem re-appeared.

I also tried both NAT and Bridged modes for the vmware network adapter with no affect.

It's interesting that I can still dbl click the "vmware shared folder' desktop icon and go to the shared folder... and then in the left hand window pane under 'network' the "vmware-host" is listed but if I click on it I get the "vmware-host is not accessible" error message...!!

please help!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
sbrohn
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem. I did not update from Vista. I installed Windows 7 using VMware Fusion 3.0.

This is a serious problem! Not only can you not map it as a drive, mirroring does not work either. Please, someone from VMware address and correct this.

0 Kudos
nbe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried disconnecting the "networkshare" and uninstalling the VMware Tools after that?

In Fusion 3 they have changed the unc path to the shared folders, this may have caused your problem accessing shared folders. When I select to share the documents folder on OS X with my XP SP3 vm in Fusion 3 the UNC path is
vmware-host\Shared Folders\My Documents (so no documents but "My Documents"). You can look for the correct network path when you map a new network drive and choose to browse. The shared folders will be under the VMware Shared Folders option.

0 Kudos
jgw7
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response, nbe... however, the vmware-host computer doesn't even show up in the list of network computers when I go to map network drive (but my wife's macbook does..!).

0 Kudos
nbe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just to make sure: are the VMware Tools still installed and running?

0 Kudos
user2938743
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem that jgw7 described. The only thing new I can add is that in Windows Explorer in the left pane if I open Network then vmware-host appears but if I attempt to open that I get an error: "
vmware-host is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network address is invalid. (OK)"

0 Kudos
brucegordon
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same problem. This sort of spoils the usefullness of Fusion 3. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Bruce

blgordon@una.edu

0 Kudos
Dlmltrls
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem with Windows 7 and VMware Fusion 3.0. Seems to be a widespread bug and not documented in the knowledge base - anyone from vmware support? Makes VMware Fusion useless.

0 Kudos
Dlmltrls
Contributor
Contributor

In reply to my own question:

1. General remark: Discovered that using the "Search VMware Communities using Google" vmware site search box below the general search box

produces a great number of results related to this issue.

2. Thread http://communities.vmware.com/thread/139126?tstart=15180 points to a direction that solved the issue for me on Windows 7/Fusion 3.0. I searched for all instances of the phrase "shared folders" in my registry and deleted all of those instances that were related to vmware. Deselected "Share folders on your Mac", reinstalled vmware tools (using the setup64 from the setup image), logged off and on and it somehow works. As always, your mileage will vary and use at your own risk.

0 Kudos
user2938743
Contributor
Contributor

My solution was to erase the VM and start over from scratch. Not ideal, but it seemed to fix the problem. I think this time around I chose the "less integrated" option during setup -- I can't remember what that was called exactly and I'm not sure that made any difference, but there it is.

0 Kudos
jgw7
Contributor
Contributor

fixed in fusion 3.1

0 Kudos