VMware Communities
matheshkethes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

uninstall fusion 8.5 trial version and install fusion pro 8.5 trial - failing

Hi All,
I am a newbee to mac , I wanted to install fusion pro 8.5 (trial versions) to do some F5 BIG IP load balancing tutorials, but i installed the fusion 8.5 (trial versions) instead of the pro version.
The problem is I can't do manual IP addresses on this version and I need to install the pro, I tried all methods to uninstall the fusion 8.5 and to re install the fusion pro 8.5. All methods have so far failed. (This includes cleaning the files and so on . . - Manually uninstalling VMware Fusion (1017838) | VMware KB )

It is the same .dmg file for both pro and the normal fusions and you select the version at the start of the installation, when I reinstall it dowsn't give me the option to select the versions, it just installs the normal fusion 8.5

Can someone help me to uninstall this and re-install the fusion pro 8.5 please?

thanks,

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
matheshkethes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for the reply mikero,I raised this with vmware and they gave me a pro license key for 30 days, so thats now working all fine . .
in terms of the IP addresses (network setup), the only way that I am able to do my lab setup is with the custom network tab on the pro (under vmware fusion > preferences ), this isn't even available on the normal version . . .

all is good now , but thank you very much for the time , very much appreciated . . .

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

All you need to do is change the license key in Fusion with a Pro trial key and it will unlock the Pro features.

(i.e. Fusion and Fusion Pro are the same binaries, with features unlocked by license key)

Menu Bar > VMware Fusion > License... > Paste/Type Pro key > done

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
matheshkethes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for the reply, but I didn't get any license keys for the fusion 8.5
it just worked, and on the side of [ Menu Bar > VMware Fusion > License... >  ] it says "30 evaluation days left" , I am thinking it picks that based on some cache information . . . I do have a space to paste the license key but I think thats if I am about to purchase the actual key.

any other thoughts . . . ?

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

If you go to the VMware Fusion menu > About... it should say there if it's the Professional version.

By default, the evaluation without a key put in is in Pro mode.

While Pro gives you the ability to create custom networks, both would allow you to configure the guest VM as you see fit.

Specifically, you would choose NAT or Bridged as you desire, and then in the VM itself assign a static (or 'manual' as you put it) IP the same way you would on a physical PC.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
matheshkethes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks for the reply mikero,I raised this with vmware and they gave me a pro license key for 30 days, so thats now working all fine . .
in terms of the IP addresses (network setup), the only way that I am able to do my lab setup is with the custom network tab on the pro (under vmware fusion > preferences ), this isn't even available on the normal version . . .

all is good now , but thank you very much for the time , very much appreciated . . .