VMware Communities
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

unable to install MacOS Sierra in VM

Hi all... This is the second time i've grabbed this from the Mac App Store, as the first time, i was the installer was corrupted, but now it's happened a second time, it must be VMWare 8.5 issue or someting:

The problem is I cannot install MacOS Sierra in Virtual machine in 8.5 Fusion

This is all I get after i click on "Reinstall OS X" in OS X Utilities:

Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 10.08.52 am.png

Actually , the first time it doesn't do anything.. "Continue" becomes inactive when clicked, but the above is a result of doing something else first, like bring up Terminal,, going back and trying again..

This is from Power on.. I know it's not damaged because i only just downloaded it from the App Store.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Note that it is macOS telling you the image is damaged not VMware Fusion.

I know it's not damaged because i only just downloaded it from the App Store

That's not how it works.

Downloading something fresh from the internet does not guarantee it has no flaws, there certainly can be bit flips in your download and downloading the same files again can get you the same corrupted files again.

This is also why many big download files show SHA1 hashes or md5sums, so that you can verify that the download is correct.

The HTTP protocol does not guarantee anything, besides there are many other reasons why it can happen, for example due to faulty hardware.

See also:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/44135-42-files-download-corrupt

The following link has more info on how-to fix this for mac app store downloads:

https://www.cnet.com/news/fix-corrupt-mac-app-store-downloads/

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A random thought: In addition to a simply corrupted download (as Wil pointed out), I've seen this particular error message occur when the Install macOS Sierra.app is downloaded from the App Store and is then copied to a server which does not support all of the extended attributes and features used by the installer package (i.e. a NAS, a SMB file share, or a non-HFS+ filesystem).  There's some information that gets lost along the way, and the installer fails as a result.

Are you doing anything to the application bundle in between downloading it from the App Store and attempting to create the virtual machine?  If so, try downloading it again and directly using the resulting /Applications/Install macOS Sierra.app without moving/copying the application to another location.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
phkc070408
Contributor
Contributor

I think Dariusd is onto something.

I'm unable to install this now that I've upgraded my Mac to Catalina and my VM Ware Fusion to 10.5.  I had no problem when using VM Ware 8.5.10 and Mac OS Mojove.

As a test, I just tried to install the same MacOS file on a machine I have that is still running Mojove and VM Ware Fusion 8.5.10 and the file installs flawlessly.

Has anyone been able to figure this out?

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Fusion 10.5 isn't supported on Catalina.  Upgrade to 11.5.1.

0 Kudos
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If an installer says it can't be verified or was signed with a certificate that has expired - Apple ...

This.. I found.

Seems Apple's re-released  these. as .dmg image (.pkg install). However that's not gonna help me much in Fusion clean install.

I think for now i'll just stick to installing Yosemite in VM, then using App store to download any previous versions  purchased

wila​ - Its "optional" for users to check md5 hashes. not a requirement. I took this  as "ANY large download will ALWAYS be corrupted which is why they provide you with checksum so user can verify"

to which i would say, is not tied. It may be a coincidence the 1st time, possibly 2nd time as well... But if it becomes too much, then that says there is more than a 'coincidental issue' on the file, not the protocol..

i.e downloading via Firefox may give you a corrupted file, but downloading the same file again using Chrome gives you "ok"

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yes optional it is, but if you have a problem then this is one of the standard steps of troubleshooting.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos