VMware Communities
cmuench
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

turn off dhcp for host-only

Hello,

I have a windows server vm and a couple of xp clients. and I want to replicate my live network all on one machine. While this one machine is connected to a live network. So what I wanted to do is basically stick all the machines in host-only mode. However I have my own dhcp server that I'm going to be testing. Is their any way to turn off the DHCP on host-only mode? They really need to change some of the networking stuff. I'm used to ESX and creating vlans for everything. So much easier.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can ask the host-only DHCP server to exit by sending it a SIGTERM signal, in Terminal by running:

sudo kill -15 `sudo cat /var/run/vmnet-dhcpd-vmnet1.pid`

To permanently disable the host-only DHCPd server you'll have to edit /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/boot.sh and comment out the starting of the vmnet1 DHCPd server.

You can also customized the DHCP server to send out addresses in your preferred address range or to specific VMs by MAC address.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can ask the host-only DHCP server to exit by sending it a SIGTERM signal, in Terminal by running:

sudo kill -15 `sudo cat /var/run/vmnet-dhcpd-vmnet1.pid`

To permanently disable the host-only DHCPd server you'll have to edit /Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/boot.sh and comment out the starting of the vmnet1 DHCPd server.

You can also customized the DHCP server to send out addresses in your preferred address range or to specific VMs by MAC address.

cmuench
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

sweet the commenting out worked. Thanks.