VMware Communities
skybond
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

trouble logging on to internet in windows xp on my mac through fusion for mac OS x

I cant log onto the internet when i open up the boot camp partition on my mac through the VM ware Fusion for Mac. It will download emails and upgrade programs (virus updates etc) through the net but when i try to connect it comes up with the page not available message. What settings should I have. It is now in bridged mode not NAT.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I am puzzled.

There is no such thing as "logging onto the internet". One can log on to a computer, or log on to an internet service provider to get access to the internet, even log on to specific web sites but there is no logging on to the internet, as such.

The term "logging onto the internet" is being use as a generalized statement in reference to what is happening and is perfectly fine to make such a statement in the context of the OP's issues.

If you can do windows updates, your browser (IE) must be working and you can surf the net. i.e. you are on the inernet.

Automatic Windows Updates does not use the IE Browser

Perhaps you could tell us -- precisely -- what you are trying to do and not able to do??

The OP is trying to connect to the Internet via a Browser!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you're saying that while running the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine you can download email and program updates inside the Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine but cannot connect to the Internet through a Browser that I don't believe this is a Fusion issue however I'd try browsing with at least two different Browsers, like IE and Firefox and I'd also try switching between Bridged and NAT and if you make the switch while the Virtual Machine is running then you need to Release/Renew the IP Address.

Have a look at if you need help with Release/Renew the IP Address.

skybond
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I should have said that automatic updates happen through the internet ( windows updates and virus protection files etc) but i cant actually log on to the internet. I haven't been able to get assistance through Microsoft or Apple. I will check the ipconfig/ release-renew process.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I should have said that automatic updates happen through the internet ( windows updates and virus protection files etc) but i cant actually log on to the internet.

I understood that to be the case. What Browsers have you tried? In a Command Prompt can you ping your ISP's domain name and then google.com and report back the stats?

0 Kudos
MacNoo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am puzzled.

There is no such thing as "logging onto the internet". One can log on to a computer, or log on to an internet service provider to get access to the internet, even log on to specific web sites but there is no logging on to the internet, as such.

If you can do windows updates, your browser (IE) must be working and you can surf the net. i.e. you are on the inernet.

Perhaps you could tell us -- precisely -- what you are trying to do and not able to do??

0 Kudos
tvchopper
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

skybond, have you tried clearing the browser cache? As a more drastic measure you could try re-installing the browser, assuming it is not IE...or try a different one like Firefox.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I am puzzled.

The term "logging onto the internet" is being use as a generalized statement in reference to what is happening and is perfectly fine to make such a statement in the context of the OP's issues.

Automatic Windows Updates does not use the IE Browser

The OP is trying to connect to the Internet via a Browser!

0 Kudos